Manchester United return from the South of Spain to host Chelsea at Old Trafford in the Premier League on Sunday.
We currently have a three-point lead over Antonio Conte’s side who sit in fourth in a game both sides will be desperate to avoid defeat. Tottenham Hotspur are currently outside of the Champions League places and are only one point behind the Blues.
Prior to the game, Jose Mourinho has spoken at his pre-match press conference today to give a team news and injury update.
The boss was able to confirm that Ander Herrera is set for a spell on the sidelines after suffering a hamstring injury at Sevilla midweek.
Herrera was only starting his first game in three weeks on Wednesday but lasted only 16 minutes when he hobbled off after attempting a backheel in the opposition penalty area. He was replaced by Paul Pogba who we expect to start this weekend.
Mourinho was unable to confirm exactly how long the physios expect Ander Herrera to be out for but did say at least “a few weeks”, ruling him out of the Chelsea game and a couple more at least.
The Portuguese coach told MUTV:
“Ander is out. I don’t know the final diagnosis but I know he’ll be out for a few weeks. I don’t know how many is a few – two, three, four, five, six weeks – I don’t know, but a few weeks, for sure. Coming back from injury – nobody else.”
Further disappointing news from the press conference today was that Jose Mourinho announced that none of our other injured players are ready to make their return this weekend.
This means Phil Jones, Marcos Rojo and Daley Blind will all be missing from playing in defence. Eric Bailly is expected to start alongside Chris Smalling in what will now likely be a back four, compared to the back three we played at Stamford Bridge earlier in the campaign.
Marouane Fellaini is still several weeks away from making his return after recently undergoing knee surgery. The Belgian is not due back in action until April.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic is also still working his way back to fitness but is back in training at least. The Swede is recovering from a knee ligament problem but this weekend’s game will come too early for the 36-year-old.
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Alejandro Garnacho’s market value skyrockets but Man Utd unlikely to cash in on prodigious forward
- Manchester United midfielder Sofyan Amrabat was hours away from joining Liverpool this summer, set to join Sports Entertainment Group
- Jadon Sancho deactivates Instagram account following exile from Man United facilities
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe restructuring his offer to buy Man Utd
- Phil Jones studying to become a sports director and doing his coaching badges with Manchester United
- Jorge Mendes spoke to Man Utd regarding Joao Felix before Barcelona move
- Alejandro Garnacho has big point to prove vs Crystal Palace tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Man Utd watching Javi Guerra every game, classify him as a top player