Manchester United will face Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the fifth round of this season’s FA Cup at Stamford Bridge on Monday.
The Blues were hammered 6-0 at Manchester City last weekend, a day after we leapfrogged them into fourth spot the Premier League with a 3-0 win over Fulham.
Ahead of the weekend’s FA Cup action, caretaker manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been speaking to the media at his pre-match press conference and has given a team news and injury update.
In what is a big blow to the club, both Jesse Lingard and Anthony Martial are ruled out of our trip to West London on Monday night and may also miss our match versus Liverpool in the Premier League next weekend.
The attacking duo both suffered injuries before half-time in our Champions League deafeat at the hands of Paris Saint-Germain on Tuesday night. Ole confirmed the news to MUTV:
“I don’t think we will see them in the next two games. Let’s hope they heal quickly, but it looks like they might be out for two or three weeks.”
Ole went on to suggest that youngsters Angel Gomes and Tahith Chong could both feature versus Chelsea:
“Angel [Gomes] and Chongy [Tahith Chong] have been training with us, and they have been doing well, so they might be involved in that game.”
In further injury news, Ole also confirmed that full-backs Antonio Valencia and Matteo Darmian continued to be on the sideline:
“Again, Antonio [Valencia] is out, Matteo [Darmian] is out, but apart from that we are good to go.”
Neither defender has seen much action under the Norwegian but with a busy and tough fixture list throughout February we could have done with as many players as fit as possible.
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd