Manchester United will be without three defenders for our Champions League group stage match with Young Boys this evening.
Victory matched by Valencia failing to beat Juventus would book a spot in the second round with a game to spare, away to the Spanish side next month.
We were 3-0 winners away to the Swiss Super League champions back in September.
Jose Mourinho will be forced into at least two changes from Saturday’s disappointing 0-0 draw at home to Crystal Palace as the boss has confirmed we have three absentees.
The first of those is centre-back Victor Lindelof, who was visibly struggling in the closing stages of our game at the weekend, but the boss had already made his three substitutions by this point.
Jose added that the Swedish international will be “out for quite a while”. He told MUTV:
“[Victor will have a] scan tomorrow, but by the experience of the medical department and the feelings of the player, he has a muscular problem and a muscular problem takes time,”” revealed Mourinho at his pre-match press conference.
“I would say if we have Victor available for the Christmas period when we need, if possible, every player to be available for that difficult period until the Newcastle match on 2 January, it will be good.”
Victor Lindelof has started our last six competitive matches in all competitions.
The former Benfica defender will be joined by Matteo Darmian, who also started over the weekend. The Italian played at right-back whilst Ashley Young moved across to the left to fill in for the suspended Luke Shaw.
Darmian has not featured in the Champions League this season. Jose confirmed the 28-year-old’s absence by saying he has “a little [problem]” after playing the full 90 minutes over the weekend.
Another centre-back that remains absent is Marcos Rojo, who too has “some little injury” according to Jose. This leaves us with only Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and Eric Bailly as options at centre-back this evening.
- Jadon Sancho reunion would be appealing for Borussia Dortmund but there are reservations
- Manchester United to assess fitness of three players ahead of their Premier League clash with Crystal Palace
- Daley Blind sends warning to Man Utd midfielder Donny van de Beek
- Man United plan contract talks for rising star Hannibal Mejbri
- Sofyan Amrabat only wanted Man Utd this summer, eyes permanent stay
- Roy Keane sends message to Jadon Sancho after Man Utd exile
- Manchester United’s under-21s suffer 8-1 thrashing against Bolton Wanderers
- Man Utd have fresh solution at left-back with Sofyan Amrabat
- Alejandro Garnacho reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s performance against Crystal Palace
- Casemiro delivers masterclass performance against Crystal Palace in Carabao Cup