Chelsea are reportedly close to ‘throwing in the towel’ in their pursuit of Manchester United target Frenkie De Jong.
That’s according to Sport (print edition August 14th, page 14) who claim that Chelsea are growing increasingly more frustrated with De Jong.
United are still in the race and the 25-year-old midfielder is believed to be the priority target for Erik ten Hag (Manchester Evening News).
The fee agreed is believed to be €65 million + €15m in add-ons for a total of €80m (£67m), according to ESPN.
However, according to a recent report from the Express, Chelsea were willing to pay Barcelona’s asking price for De Jong. And Thomas Tuchel was very keen to bring the Dutchman to Stamford Bridge (Metro).
It seems as though United may well now have a free run at Ten Hag’s countryman though.
Manchester United could have free run at Frenkie de Jong after Chelsea ‘throw towel in’
Spanish publication Sport claim that Chelsea have grown tired at waiting around for the 44-capped Holland international and as a result, Tuchel may well now focus his attention elsewhere.
That’s great news for United. It was proving extremely difficult to prise De Jong away from Camp Nou without Chelsea’s interest!
And now might be the time for the Red Devils to really ramp up their pursuit of the Barca midfielder. He would take United to another level entirely.
Ten Hag’s central midfield was incredibly weak against Brighton & Hove Albion and Brentford and De Jong would change all of that in an instant.
He bagged three goals and three assists in 32 La Liga games for Barca last season. During those appearances, the Dutchman made 51.2 passes on average per game and recorded a mightily impressive completion rate of 91.3%.
The Dutchman is highly energetic, cool and composed when in possession and a brilliant passer of the ball. He has the quality needed to dictate the tempo of the game and would add so much to the United squad.
Sport Bible describe him as elite and a masterclass midfielder. He has also been labelled as a ‘special’ player by UEFA’s official website. The 25-year-old would certainly be a huge upgrade on the likes of Scott McTominay and Fred at Old Trafford.
And with Chelsea reportedly close to giving up on De Jong, United must not hesitate to make their move.
- Pogba admits he fell short of expectations at Manchester United
- Rashford and Martial doubtful for Manchester derby after missing training
- Roberto Carlos names two current Man United players he would like to play with
- Three Manchester United winners from the international break
- ‘He makes my game easier’ – Bruno Fernandes full of praise for Eriksen
- Diogo Dalot hoping for a new Man United contract with Europe’s elite clubs eyeing up transfer
- Manchester United midfielder gives verdict on Ronaldo’s performance after Portugal’s 1-0 defeat
- Ben Foster advises Jude Bellingham to join Manchester United
- Manchester United: Shaw and Ferdinand back Maguire after England horror show
- Cody Gakpo’s form could reignite interest from Manchester United in January