Chelsea are reportedly close to ‘throwing in the towel’ in their pursuit of Manchester United target Frenkie De Jong.
That’s according to Sport (print edition August 14th, page 14) who claim that Chelsea are growing increasingly more frustrated with De Jong.
United are still in the race and the 25-year-old midfielder is believed to be the priority target for Erik ten Hag (Manchester Evening News).
The fee agreed is believed to be €65 million + €15m in add-ons for a total of €80m (£67m), according to ESPN.
However, according to a recent report from the Express, Chelsea were willing to pay Barcelona’s asking price for De Jong. And Thomas Tuchel was very keen to bring the Dutchman to Stamford Bridge (Metro).
It seems as though United may well now have a free run at Ten Hag’s countryman though.
Manchester United could have free run at Frenkie de Jong after Chelsea ‘throw towel in’
Spanish publication Sport claim that Chelsea have grown tired at waiting around for the 44-capped Holland international and as a result, Tuchel may well now focus his attention elsewhere.
That’s great news for United. It was proving extremely difficult to prise De Jong away from Camp Nou without Chelsea’s interest!
And now might be the time for the Red Devils to really ramp up their pursuit of the Barca midfielder. He would take United to another level entirely.
Ten Hag’s central midfield was incredibly weak against Brighton & Hove Albion and Brentford and De Jong would change all of that in an instant.
He bagged three goals and three assists in 32 La Liga games for Barca last season. During those appearances, the Dutchman made 51.2 passes on average per game and recorded a mightily impressive completion rate of 91.3%.
The Dutchman is highly energetic, cool and composed when in possession and a brilliant passer of the ball. He has the quality needed to dictate the tempo of the game and would add so much to the United squad.
Sport Bible describe him as elite and a masterclass midfielder. He has also been labelled as a ‘special’ player by UEFA’s official website. The 25-year-old would certainly be a huge upgrade on the likes of Scott McTominay and Fred at Old Trafford.
And with Chelsea reportedly close to giving up on De Jong, United must not hesitate to make their move.
- Sir Dave Brailsford and Jean-Claude Blanc meet Manchester United executives at Old Trafford as Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s 25% acquisition edges closer
- Man Utd showing interest in Borussia Dortmund winger Donyell Malen
- Man Utd confirm Amad Diallo has returned to full training ahead of Bournemouth game
- United boss Erik ten Hag shuts the door on January reinforcement
- Ian Wright wants Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag gone once Sir Jim Ratcliffe arrives
- Roy Keane wants Manchester United to ditch Antony, Raphael Varane, Harry Maguire and more
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to Manchester United fans after 2-1 win against Chelsea
- Erik ten Hag has another undroppable star in Scott McTominay after Chelsea win
- Sofyan Amrabat produces his best Man Utd display vs Chelsea
- Juventus cool interest in exiled Man Utd star Jadon Sancho due to financial concerns