Cody Gakpo was subject of intense interest from Manchester United in the last transfer window, but a move to Old Trafford failed to materialise.
United went on to sign Antony from Ajax for £86million, while Gakpo remained at PSV Eindhoven despite being linked with moves to Leeds United and Southampton.
However, the Red Devils could rekindle their desire to sign Gakpo in January, given the form the 23-year-old has been in this term.
Off the back of a stellar individual season where he was voted Eredivisie Player of the Year, Gakpo has picked up where he left off having scored the most goals and supplied the most assists in the Eredivisie.
Currently on duty with the Netherlands, Gakpo has transferred mesmerising form onto the international stage.
He netted in his side’s 2-0 victory over Poland on Thursday before coming off the bench to assist Virgil van Dijk’s winner against Belgium, which saw Louis van Gaal’s men progress into the semi-finals of the Nations League.
Gakpo has been directly involved in 21 goals in 15 games for club and country this term. With the 2022 World Cup just under two months away, the winger is set to star for L’Oranje as they look to make an impression in their first showing since 2014 at football’s biggest event.
As previously admitted by the player, Gakpo wanted to join United in the summer and that could become a real possibility when the transfer window reopens in January when Cristiano Ronaldo’s future will be up in the air once again.
Capable of playing anywhere across the front three, Gakpo’s versatility would prove to be a huge asset for United, who have recovered from a slow start to the season with four Premier League wins on the bounce.
- Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic is destined for Man Utd move
- Liverpool join Man Utd in race to sign Cody Gakpo in January
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner
- Gary Neville says Marcus Rashford should be a guaranteed starter for England vs Senegal
- Man Utd handed blow with Benfica set to hand new contract to Goncalo Ramos
- Cristiano Ronaldo closing in on January move to Al Nassr