Dutch journalist Marcel van der Kraan has claimed that PSV Eindhoven winger Cody Gakpo will choose Manchester United over other Premier League clubs.
The Red Devils have been hunting for a versatile forward player in a bid to bolster their front line.
Yesterday, ESPN reported that United are interested in acquiring the services of the 23-year-old.
Speaking to Sky Sports, Marcel van der Kraan has added fuel to this speculation.
He said, “He [Gakpo] is not close but he is definitely on their [Manchester United] target list and I think he is a prime target.
“Arsenal made a bid for him weeks ago and there are around five Premier League clubs after Gakpo. But if the choice is there, he will go to Manchester United.
“I think eventually he will be the top man at a big club and I could see him featuring for Manchester United but there are other top clubs in the bidding for wanting him.”
Gakpo fits Man United’s long-term plan
The young forward bagged 12 goals and 13 assists in the Dutch league last season.
In terms of total goal contribution, he was behind only Ajax attackers Sebastien Haller and Dusan Tadic.
He scored twice in PSV’s 4-1 opening-day win against FC Emmen.
Gakpo is known to operate primarily from the left wing spot. However, if his switch to United does materialise, Erik ten Hag might use him as a central striker.
Cristiano Ronaldo’s future at Old Trafford remains uncertain. This leaves Anthony Martial as the only recognised striker.
Based on his track record, Ten Hag cannot trust and go ahead in the season with only him being the number nine.
Gakpo will be a robust addition to the squad. He will offer flexibility, something which the former Ajax coach wants from his players.
There are a few positives, although Gakpo is yet to prove himself on the big stage.
The gulf between the two leagues is massive which cast doubts on whether he can replicate the same form in the Premier League.
These doubts get even stronger when we look back and see how top-notch players from Holland failed in England.
Memphis Depay, Vincent Janssen and Steven Bergwijn are a few names on that list. Players who wear the red jersey must ensure they are ready for heavy scrutiny every week.
United supporters will be hoping that their club can get the deals done as the transfer market closes in another three weeks.
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season