In an interview with NOS, PSV Eindhoven star Cody Gakpo has said that Manchester United are one of the clubs he would prefer to join at the end of the season.
The Dutchman was heavily linked with the Red Devils during the summer transfer window, but the club ended up prioritising a deal for Ajax winger Antony.
It has since been confirmed by Marcel Brands that United tried to sign the 23-year-old, but they were reluctant to meet PSV’s asking price of €50 million.
Gakpo has now said that he is ready to take the next step in his career next season and added that it would be an honour to play for Erik ten Hag’s side.
He told NOS: “I think at the end of this season I will be ready to take that next step. I feel like I was already that way at the start of the season, but after this season I’m even more ready to take that next step.”
“Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool. It would be an honour to play there, but I also have to see what kind of team would suit me best.”
Man Utd must pursue Gakpo’s services next summer
Gakpo has been in scintillating form during the ongoing campaign for PSV. In his 23 appearances this season, he has bagged a stunning tally of 13 goals and 17 assists.
His statistics are superior to Manchester City’s Erling Braut Haaland, who has 26 goal contributions. He should attract widespread interest at the end of the campaign.
United are obviously long-term admirers of his services, but may need to qualify for the Champions League to boost their prospects of landing his signature.
Among Gakpo’s preferred clubs are also Manchester City, Barcelona and Real Madrid, who are very much guaranteed of Champions League football next season.
The left wing is definitely a position which United must focus on reinforcing next summer. Gakpo would be a shrewd signing as he can also operate as a striker.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic is destined for Man Utd move
- Liverpool join Man Utd in race to sign Cody Gakpo in January
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner
- Gary Neville says Marcus Rashford should be a guaranteed starter for England vs Senegal
- Man Utd handed blow with Benfica set to hand new contract to Goncalo Ramos
- Cristiano Ronaldo closing in on January move to Al Nassr