Manchester United are in the summer transfer window for a new centre-back.
We currently have plenty of options in the middle of our defence but Jose Mourinho is still yet to settle on a partnership. Eric Bailly looks like the only guaranteed starter for next season and even then the Ivorian was dropped for a couple of games at the end of this past season.
Victor Lindelof failed to adapt to life in England following his big move from Benfica last summer, whilst the boss has never seemingly been keen on either Phil Jones nor Chris Smalling being long-term options in the first team.
We have been strongly linked with a move for Tottenham Hotspur’s Toby Alderweireld this summer but nothing is yet to materialise.
Now Spanish outlet Diario Gol are reporting that new Real Madrid manager Julen Lopetegui wants to make changes to his defence, keeping Sergio Ramos, Nacho and Jesus Vallejo, but with the possibility of selling Manchester United target Raphael Varane.
The report goes on to say that Real Madrid president Florentino Perez would even let the French international leave this summer but that he would demand an astronomical transfer fee for the centre-back. He has been one of our top targets for more than a year now.
Varane played 39 games in all competitions under Zinedine Zidane last season and is rated as one of the best defenders in the world, currently part of the French starting XI that are expected to go very far at this summer’s World Cup.
Jose Mourinho handed Varane his debut at Real Madrid so the player may want to reunite with his former boss at Old Trafford, which could be a huge factor should the 25-year-old leave the Santiago Bernabeu this summer. We can certainly expect competition should Real Madrid be willing to listen to offers.
There’s no doubt that Raphael Varane is one of the best centre-backs in world football right now and with several years ahead of him. If Julen Lopetegui is really considering cashing in on his player then let’s hope that Jose Mourinho and co make a swift move to land him.
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Alejandro Garnacho’s market value skyrockets but Man Utd unlikely to cash in on prodigious forward
- Manchester United midfielder Sofyan Amrabat was hours away from joining Liverpool this summer, set to join Sports Entertainment Group
- Jadon Sancho deactivates Instagram account following exile from Man United facilities
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe restructuring his offer to buy Man Utd
- Phil Jones studying to become a sports director and doing his coaching badges with Manchester United
- Jorge Mendes spoke to Man Utd regarding Joao Felix before Barcelona move
- Alejandro Garnacho has big point to prove vs Crystal Palace tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Man Utd watching Javi Guerra every game, classify him as a top player