Manchester United midfielder Christian Eriksen has won the 2023 Laureus World Comeback of the Year award.
The Dane brought the footballing world to a standstill two years ago when he suffered a cardiac arrest in a Euro 2020 group stage game against Finland.
There were initially doubts whether he could return to the playing field but he made a tremendous recovery before Brentford signed him in January 2022.
The 31-year-old went on to impress for the Bees as they stayed clear of the drop and this convinced manager Erik ten Hag to sign him on a free transfer.
Eriksen has since been a key player for United in the centre of the park with two goals and nine assists.
He was also involved with his nation at the World Cup where they bowed out at the group stage.
The former Inter Milan star has had an extraordinary career revival since his cardiac arrest and he truly deserves the Laureus World Comeback of the Year award.
Eriksen was in fantastic form for the Red Devils during the first half of the season but picked up a lengthy ankle injury in January after a reckless challenge from Reading’s Andy Carroll.
He made his return to action last month but has yet to hit top form. Hopefully, the midfielder will make a big impression in the next five games of the season for the Red Devils.
United need a maximum of three wins from their final four league games to finish in the top four and guarantee their place in next season’s Champions League group stage.
Meanwhile, they have an FA Cup final against Manchester City on June 3. United will start as underdogs and the pressure will be off them with Pep Guardiola’s side fancied to win.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December