Christian Eriksen has verbally agreed to join Manchester United on a free transfer this summer, The Athletic’s David Ornstein reports.
The Denmark international has been a free-agent since the expiry of his Brentford contract (June 30), but he is now on the verge of joining United.
The midfielder has verbally accepted the three-year proposal from the Red Devils, and the progress of drafting contracts has now started.
The 30-year-old would still need to go through the medical tests which could be a lengthier process after the unforeseen incident last year.
The Dane suffered a shock cardiac arrest during the Euros last summer and was then fitted with an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator.
Eriksen has largely played as an attacking midfielder during his career, but he can also operate from the centre of the park as seen at Brentford.
During his short-term stay, he excelled with one goal and four assists from 11 outings. He also created several other chances for his teammates.
With Bruno Fernandes being an undisputed starter from the number 10 role, we could see Eriksen feature off the bench more regularly.
However, there could also be the prospect of both playing together with Eriksen operating centrally alongside a holding midfielder.
Scott McTominay or Fred could play as the number six, but Frenkie de Jong may also take up the position if he arrives from Barcelona.
A three-year deal will have been a key factor in convincing Eriksen that he would play a meaningful role in the club’s new era under Erik ten Hag.
Eriksen, who has bagged 52 goals and 71 assists in the Premier League, should provide much-needed creativity from the heart of the midfield.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season
- Tottenham Hotspur will resist Harry Kane sale to Man Utd this summer
- Three midfielders Manchester United could sign from the relegated Premier League clubs this summer