Chelsea defender Marc Cucurella is very close to joining Manchester United on a season-long loan deal, according to Spanish publication Marca.
The Red Devils are currently searching for an emergency left-back as Luke Shaw and Tyrell Malacia are sidelined with injuries until November.
Yesterday, it was confirmed that talks were held with Chelsea for Cucurella, and Marca claim that the Spaniard is ‘very close’ to joining United.
The £175,000-a-week man ‘welcomes’ the opportunity, having fallen down the pecking order at Chelsea under new manager Mauricio Pochettino.
If United are successful in landing him, Alvaro Fernandez will be loaned out to a Spanish club. He could join one of Granada, Getafe or Las Palmas.
Cucurella to United could be a realistic possibility
Cucurella was tremendous for Brighton & Hove Albion during his debut Premier League season. He won the Player of the Year award as a result.
Since his big-money move to Chelsea, he has struggled to replicate the same showing. The Spaniard was more defensive playing for the Blues last term.
He was restricted from making offensive runs at his new club, but could have more freedom at United with players, who are more settled as a group.
There are no surprises that he is tempted to join, considering Ben Chilwell and Ian Maatsen are ahead of him in the pecking order at the London side.
At United, he could make the position his own for the short-term if he can revive his form from his Brighton days where he impressed with his overlapping runs.
Cucurella’s best-ever Premier League performance came against United back in the 2021/22 season where he started on the left side of a back three.
The Spaniard scored in a convincing 4-0 triumph. We personally wanted him at Old Trafford last summer, and that could happen now with the injury crisis.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Capology.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action