Chelsea have rejected a third bid from Manchester United for midfielder Mason Mount, according to The Athletic’s David Ornstein.
The Red Devils have identified the Englishman as their priority summer target, but they have yet to finalise an agreement with the Blues.
The club recently made a third offer of £50 million plus £5m in add-ons for the 24-year-old, but the Blues have countered the proposal with £58m plus £7m in bonuses.
United remain interested in signing the Blues graduate, and Ornstein reveals that the London outfit have offered to meet the Red Devils to find an amicable solution.
There is hope of a swift resolution such that Mount does not miss the beginning of pre-season.
United inching closer to Mount deal
Mount has been earmarked as Erik ten Hag’s prime target to bolster the central midfield department.
It was recently suggested that the club could walk away after a third offer, but it appears they have not given up on their pursuit of the England international.
The Blues have now proposed a personal meeting to finalise the fee and hopefully, United can settle on a package of £60m to secure the midfielder’s signature.
Mount will enter the final year of his contract next month, but this has not deterred the Blues from negotiating, having already recouped plenty of funds.
The London side have already sanctioned the departures of Mateo Kovacic and Kai Havertz to Manchester City and Arsenal for £30m and £65m respectively.
They are also expecting to sell Edouard Mendy, Hakim Ziyech and Kalidou Koulibaly to Saudi Pro League clubs which will improve their financial situation.
In our view, United have been slow in negotiations for the £80,000-a-week star, and should have secured an agreement much earlier for a decent discount.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Capology.com
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns