Chelsea have turned down a £40 million offer from Manchester United for Mason Mount, according to the Telegraph.
The Red Devils earmarked Mount as a key transfer target this summer.
Erik ten Hag wants United to sign a midfielder who can bring dynamism in the centre of the park.
The Blues want around £70m for the 24-year-old, even though he has just a year left in his current deal.
Mount is edging closer to departing Stamford Bridge after refusing to extend his contract with his boyhood club.
Man Utd should not overpay for Mason Mount
United will likely return with an improved bid for the England international but should not go even close to Chelsea’s asking price.
The London outfit must decrease their valuation as £70m does not justify what Mount brings to the table.
They desperately need to trim their squad size and sell a few players to balance their books.
Mount had a great 2021/22 season, but his performances took a massive dip last term.
This has further decreased his market value, and Chelsea must be mindful of that.
Mount will be a fine signing for United, but he is not someone who can transform them into title challengers.
Man United’s priority is to sign a marquee striker this summer. Harry Kane and Victor Osimhen are at the top of their wish list, but signing either player would be expensive.
Apart from a striker and midfielder, United also require a new defender and goalkeeper.
United could increase their bid for Mount to £50m but paying above that would be a mistake.
If they have £70m available for a midfielder in their transfer budget, they should target Brighton & Hove Albion’s Moises Caicedo.
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action