Premier League rivals Chelsea are ready to sign Cristiano Ronaldo in January if Manchester United decide to terminate his contract, The Mirror report.
The Blues were heavily linked with the Portuguese star during the summer transfer window but a deal did not materialise due to multiple reasons.
United were not looking to part ways with him. Blues manager Thomas Tuchel was also not keen on working with the five-time Ballon d’Or winner.
The scenario has now completely changed. The Red Devils are looking to terminate Ronaldo’s deal after his explosive interview with Piers Morgan.
Amidst this, they are facing a catch-22 situation with Blues co-owner Todd Boehly ready to make a contract offer to the £17.4 million-rated star.
The London club replaced Tuchel with Graham Potter before the last international break.
Man Utd should release Ronaldo despite Chelsea interest
Ronaldo made disrespectful comments towards Ten Hag and the Glazers last Sunday. There appears no way back for the Portuguese with the Red Devils.
The club have the option of running down his £515,000-a-week contract until next summer. They can obviously make the choice to suspend him until then.
However, this does not make sense as it could ruin the harmony around the club. United should not be keeping a player that does not want to be there.
With Anthony Martial’s injury concerns, they will need a new striker in January. The wages saved from Ronaldo’s exit could provide a low-cost replacement.
Memphis Depay is reportedly available from Barcelona for just £4.4 million.
Ronaldo could go on to shine for Chelsea after joining them on a free. The move may happen during the summer if not in the upcoming winter transfer window.
United can’t expect to control the Portuguese’s future and need to focus on their job ahead. They have done splendidly in the league without Ronaldo’s influence.
A top-four finish should be achievable without him with the good progress made under Ten Hag.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd have excellent chance to sign West Ham star Declan Rice next summer
- Why Man Utd star should replace Spurs defender in Argentina starting XI
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer ready for return after re-watching his 168 games in charge of Man Utd
- Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic is destined for Man Utd move
- Liverpool join Man Utd in race to sign Cody Gakpo in January
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner