Chelsea are reportedly interested in signing Cristiano Ronaldo after the forward asked to leave Old Trafford this summer.
According to The Athletic’s David Ornstein, the Blues are considering a move for the 37-year-old who is currently contracted to United until 2023.
The Red Devils are adamant the Portugal international is not for sale, but the player has made it clear he wants to leave.
Chelsea have reportedly held talks with Ronaldo’s agent Jorge Mendes, but a key factor in the move could be the wishes of manager Thomas Tuchel.
Ronaldo was one of the few United players who were outstanding last season.
Despite the club finishing a lowly sixth, the experienced forward scored 18 goals in 30 Premier League matches (stats from Transfermarkt). He also struck six times in seven Champions League games.
The Portuguese star is still a world-class player, and United would be stronger with him in the team.
However, it would also be wrong to keep him at the club against his will as he wouldn’t be very effective for the Red Devils.
United were expected to make some big signings in this transfer window after they endured a hugely disappointing 2021-22 season.
However, they have failed to strengthen their squad, despite being linked with several players.
Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong is reportedly their number one target, while they have also been linked with Christian Eriksen, Antony, Tyrell Malacia and Lisandro Martinez.
It is understandable if Ronaldo is frustrated as United haven’t been very ambitious in this transfer window to date.
- Opinion: Glazers’ £17 million Adrien Rabiot transfer disaster-class highlights everything wrong at Manchester United
- Manchester United offered a chance to sign Alvaro Morata
- Manchester United pull out of Marko Arnautovic deal
- Man Utd register interest in Cody Gakpo, player keen on transfer
- Wes Brown impressed by Lisandro Martínez’s Manchester United debut
- Rio Ferdinand urges Man Utd to re-sign Danny Welbeck as back-up striker
- Manchester United now have great chance to sign ‘incredible’ Dan-Axel Zagadou for absolutely nothing
- Man Utd can sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic for £50m this summer
- Manchester United handed another transfer blow as Benjamin Sesko’s future is decided
- Man Utd identify Guido Rodriguez as alternative to Adrien Rabiot