Premier League rivals Chelsea have decided against pursuing Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo following discussions with manager Thomas Tuchel, The Guardian report.
The 37-year-old asked to leave the Red Devils at the start of the month, and it was followed by reports revealing that his agent Jorge Mendes held talks with Blues owner Todd Boehly.
Boehly is said to have been intrigued by the prospect of signing the five-time Ballon d’Or winner, but The Guardian claim that Tuchel has decided against landing Ronaldo.
The German tactician wants a versatile and more fluid attack for next season, and it was the prime reason behind parting ways with Romelu Lukaku on loan to Inter.
Chelsea are not eyeing more attacking reinforcements after Raheem Sterling. They consider him, Kai Havertz, Timo Werner and Armando Broja as their striker options.
Ronaldo looks likely to continue at Man Utd
Ronaldo’s desire to leave United came as a huge surprise this month, considering he previously indicated that he was looking forward to working with manager Erik ten Hag.
The ambition of playing Champions League football for a 20th straight season has been highlighted as a reason, but the lack of transfer activity could be another cause behind the stance.
United have since made just one signing in Tyrell Malacia, and they are acting fast to finalise the transfers of Christian Eriksen, Lisandro Martinez and Frenkie de Jong over the coming days.
Among the trio, De Jong is the player that needs to be persuaded, but the Red Devils are optimistic that the chance to reunite with his former Ajax boss could lure him to Old Trafford soon.
The recent activity could urge Ronaldo to stay for next season. Ten Hag shares the same view, having recently stated that the Portuguese is a key part of the plans, and is only absent due to personal reasons.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’