Manchester United are hoping to negotiate a lower transfer package to sign Chelsea midfielder Mason Mount this summer, according to David Ornstein.
The Red Devils have earmarked Mount as their priority target with manager Erik ten Hag aiming to add more creativity from the centre of the park next season.
Personal terms have already been agreed with the Englishman, but the Red Devils still need to finalise a transfer fee with the Blues to secure his signature.
Speaking on Rio Ferdinand’s YouTube channel, Ornstein has now revealed that Chelsea are expecting £70 million up front for Mount with £10m in add-ons.
However, United are aiming for a compromise and hope to negotiate a deal worth £55m for him.
Man Utd must not overpay for Mount’s services
United have been guilty of overpaying for transfer targets over recent years. Last summer, they made a huge outlay of £85m to sign Antony from Ajax.
They now face a similar situation with Mount. In our opinion, the club should not pay more than £55m for Mount with his contract expiring next summer.
Chelsea are currently reluctant to lower their asking price, but their stance could weaken in the coming weeks as they get desperate to generate funds.
The Blues will want to recoup as much as possible from player sales before the financial year ends on June 30. Mount could fetch the highest fee for them.
Hence, United need to be patient to sign the Blues graduate. The London outfit could eventually lower their demands with Mount eager to move to Old Trafford.
Ten Hag is reportedly eyeing three signings before pre-season begins. Aside from Mount, a new striker and a centre-back could be among the top priorities.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action