Chelsea have offered £10m plus either Juan Mata or David Luiz for Wayne Rooney, the first official bid for the wantaway United striker of whom Jose Mourinho is a keen admirer, as the Portuguese manager has made abundantly clear over the last couple of weeks.
United, however, have rejected the offer but the feeling is that were Rooney to submit an official transfer request, the United would be willing to listen to offers, even though the prospect to sell to a direct rival could complicate the proceedings.
With United desperate to add some much-needed quality to their midfield, Juan Mata would represent a fantastic signing. The Spaniard, for whom Chelsea paid Valencia £23.5m two seasons ago, scored 11 goals and assisted 17 in 35 Premier League games last season and was one of the Blues’s star performers throughout the campaign.
David Luiz, on the other hand, would represent a rather bizarre signing by United, considering the depth of option at Moyes’ disposal in the defensive department.
- ‘He did magnificent’: Erik ten Hag praises Rasmus Hojlund’s impact in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag must start Aaron Wan-Bissaka to stop Man United’s old nemesis Wilfried Zaha
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hojlund returns
- ‘If they are good enough, they are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Manchester United’s route to finishing in the top four
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause