Chelsea have offered £10m plus either Juan Mata or David Luiz for Wayne Rooney, the first official bid for the wantaway United striker of whom Jose Mourinho is a keen admirer, as the Portuguese manager has made abundantly clear over the last couple of weeks.
United, however, have rejected the offer but the feeling is that were Rooney to submit an official transfer request, the United would be willing to listen to offers, even though the prospect to sell to a direct rival could complicate the proceedings.
With United desperate to add some much-needed quality to their midfield, Juan Mata would represent a fantastic signing. The Spaniard, for whom Chelsea paid Valencia £23.5m two seasons ago, scored 11 goals and assisted 17 in 35 Premier League games last season and was one of the Blues’s star performers throughout the campaign.
David Luiz, on the other hand, would represent a rather bizarre signing by United, considering the depth of option at Moyes’ disposal in the defensive department.
- Newcastle United lining up summer deal for Man Utd midfielder Scott McTominay
- Man Utd may not sign Harry Kane amid fresh Tottenham stance
- Marcus Rashford withdraws from England squad through injury
- Man United could persuade RB Salzburg & RB Leipzig to cancel Benjamin Sesko deal by paying higher fee
- Man Utd lagging behind in Jude Bellingham transfer race
- Former Manchester United target Ismaila Sarr set to leave Watford this summer
- Man Utd reminded why they should sign Joao Palhinha this summer
- Roy Keane blasts Man Utd performance against Fulham
- 16: Man Utd star has outscored club’s top transfer target in 2023
- ‘You never know’: Frenkie de Jong reacts when asked about joining Man Utd this summer