Manchester United have been drawn alongside Bayern Munich, Copenhagen and Galatasaray in the group stage of the UEFA Champions League this season.
The Red Devils are back in the elite club competition after one campaign. The club finished top of their group ahead of Villarreal during the 2021/22 season, but were ousted in the round of 16 stage.
Atletico Madrid beat them by a 2-1 aggregate scoreline. United manager Erik ten Hag will be eyeing a much better performance and will be hoping to go all the way to lift the prestigious title.
For the group stage, United have been pitted with Bayern, Copenhagen and Galatasaray. The Red Devils have fond memory of facing Bayern, having beaten them in the 1999 final in dramatic circumstances.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer scored two stoppage time goals to secure an unlikely 2-1 win. They most recently faced each other in the 2014 Champions League quarter-final where Bayern won 4-2 on aggregate.
The European giants are set to renew their rivalry in Group A this term. Aside from facing the Bundesliga winners, the Red Devils will take on the Denmark champions in Copenhagen.
They will also face Turkish giants Galatasaray, who are the Super Lig holders. On paper, it should be a routine passage for United into the round of 16, but stranger things can happen in football.
United should be aiming for the top spot in Group A. The games against Bayern could decide their fate.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns