Manchester United midfielder Casemiro could be doubtful for Thursday’s Europa League meeting with Real Betis after picking up an injury against Liverpool, ESPN report.
The Brazilian has been a tremendous performer for the Red Devils since his arrival last summer but he had a difficult outing against Jurgen Klopp’s side on Sunday.
United suffered an embarrassing 7-0 loss at Anfield and Casemiro was substituted in the 77th minute after the Red Devils conceded their fifth goal of the game.
It is now revealed by ESPN that Casemiro picked up an injury in the North-West derby and he will be assessed by the medical staff before Betis’ visit of Old Trafford.
Meanwhile, it has been disclosed that Bruno Fernandes did not request to be substituted unlike mentioned by several sources after the 7-0 humbling at Anfield.
The Portuguese has received much criticism following the game but it has been reported that he was only seeking clarification over his position after late substitutions.
United must respond with strong display vs Betis
United were impressive in the opening half at Anfield until Cody Gakpo’s late goal. However, their heads dropped after the interval with a stunning six goals conceded.
Casemiro was far from his best with a passing accuracy of 62 per cent while losing possession 13 times. The midfielder failed to make a successful tackle against Liverpool.
The Brazilian was spotted grimacing early in the first half and in our opinion, his injury was a reason behind the poor display. Casemiro did not look confident with the ball at his feet.
Hopefully, the £44 million-rated star will be available for the first leg of the Europa League last 16 tie. He has vast experience of facing Betis and should relish the challenge if he is deemed fit.
United boss Erik ten Hag will be eyeing a strong response from his players against the La Liga outfit on Thursday and he will expect nothing less than a victory after the weekend humiliation.
Fernandes received unwarranted criticism on Sunday. The standing captain will be keen to prove a point. The Portuguese has made several key goal contributions in recent weeks.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Sofascore.com
- Wayne Rooney says senior Man Utd players need to get Marcus Rashford fired up
- Amad Diallo reacts to Sofyan Amrabat’s performance as Manchester United book spot in FA Cup quarter-finals
- Alan Shearer reacts to Antony’s performance vs Nottingham Forest
- Diogo Dalot impresses for Man Utd in FA Cup win at Nottingham Forest
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract