Manchester United midfielder Casemiro was one of the stand-out performers during the club’s goalless Premier League draw against Newcastle United on Sunday.
The Brazil international had a frustrating start to his Premier League career with United. He was a regular on the bench with Scott McTominay getting the nod over him.
However, his fortunes changed this month after McTominay’s poor showing in the Manchester derby. Casemiro has since made the number six position his own.
The 30-year-old came up with another solid display against the Magpies today. The Brazilian won an impressive nine duels while managing seven successful tackles.
He was still dispossessed on multiple occasions, but also won four fouls for himself.
The former Real Madrid star struggled to control possession in the early weeks of his United career but seems to be gaining confidence with an extended run of starts.
Against the Magpies, the Brazilian was definitely up for the challenge unlike Fred, who looked out of sorts. The latter won just three duels over the course of 90 minutes.
On current form, Casemiro is probably an undisputed starter under Erik ten Hag. If McTominay needs to be reinstated in the XI, it may be alongside rather than replacing him.
Whether that happens is left to be seen. Christian Eriksen has been the regular choice for the number eight role, but he was absent to face the Magpies through an illness.
United drew 0-0 against Eddie Howe’s side but they should have won the game. They failed to convert two golden scoring chances in the final 10 minutes of the encounter.
One of those fell into the path of Marcus Rashford in the dying seconds. Casemiro produced a stellar cross for the England star. His free header towards goal went wide of the far post.
Casemiro was unlucky not to register a match-winning assist for the second league game running.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and SofaScore.com
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’