A slightly unexpected defeat at home to Spurs and a typically difficult encounter leading to defeat at Goodison on the opening day (well Monday….again!) of the season are the only blemishes on an apparently shaky start to United’s season.
One thing’s for sure, Everton away is no gimme and Spurs beating us at OT has been coming for a few years now, neither game was a guaranteed three points. In truth I’d say that after 9 games of the season we’re sitting just about where we should be in terms of ‘points on the board’.
In the Champions league we’re sitting pretty at the top of Group H needing (you would think) just one more point to secure a safe passage through to the knockout stages.
A decent outing by United’s youthful Capital Cup side saw Newcastle United brushed aside with Chelsea waiting for United on Wednesday night, again at Stamford Bridge, who I sense have a desire to win the trophy for just the fifth time in their history.
Needless to say United will be hoping for a decent run in the FA Cup commencing in January but will no doubt be handed tricky away ties with Premier league opponents rather than more romantic visits to the more needy in the land such as perhaps Rotherham, Hartlepool or Shrewsbury Town (to name but a few)….it just doesn’t seem to happen (pre-refrigerated balls anyone?).
Of course United will be looking to add to their record 11 FA Cup triumphs – but what does this season realistically hold for us? Where can this squad take us come May 2013? Can we reach the promised land? Will we win more than one trophy or will we suffer an anti-climactic end by finishing empty handed?
More to the point, what would YOU prefer we won, given the choice?
Me personally I just want the league back, anything else is a bonus. I think today’s 3-2 victory over Chelsea on their own turf could play a huge part in bringing the PL back to Old Trafford after we temporarily surrendered it to the Bitter half of Manchester who coincidentally should be ashamed of themselves after booing their team off at halftime yesterday…..I think you Berties should remember where you are and what’s happened to you over the last few years and understand that (the booing) would never have happened before you won the football lottery (that’s if you were actually Blue back then). Thank goodness there were plenty of empty seats or the booing could’ve got really out of hand!
Anyway, enough about them, back to the real pride of Manchester. I doubt we’ve got what it takes to win the Champions League although as we saw last season, if your name’s on the trophy – it’s on the trophy!
What’s your opinion? Let us know in the comments section after you’ve voted.
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season