Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes delivered a fantastic performance during Portugal’s 3-2 win over Slovakia in the Euro 2024 qualifier last night.
The 28-year-old has been a key performer for club and country over the past few years and he once again stood up to the occasion with a stand-out display.
Fernandes provided a quality cross for Goncalo Ramos’ opening goal in the 18th minute. At 2-1, he put the ball on the plate for Cristiano Ronaldo to tap home.
Slovakia made it 3-2 in the 80th minute, but the Euro 2016 champions managed to hold on for a victory that has ensured their qualification for the tournament.
Over 90 minutes, Fernandes created four big chances and provided five key passes. Defensively, he won four ground and aerial duels alongside two tackles.
The United skipper was guilty of losing possession on 24 occasions, but made up for the same with his creativity and vital goal contributions during the game.
The Red Devils’ faithful will be hoping that Fernandes is rested for the next qualifier against Bosnia & Herzegovina, considering Portugal have already qualified.
Fernandes, who won the Premier League Goal of the Month for September, has not had the best start to the season with the club, and will be aiming to improve.
The Portuguese has had more influencing actions in the final third (295) than any other player in the top-flight, but it has not quite worked out for United as a team.
They are currently five points behind the top four in the Premier League and will be hoping to close the deficit to the Champions League spots after the international break.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin