Manchester United playmaker Bruno Fernandes produced an impressive display during the club’s disappointing 2-2 Premier League draw at Aston Villa last night.
The Portugal international started the season in splendid fashion with a stunning hat-trick against Leeds United, but the goals have dried up for him over the past few months.
He redeemed himself yesterday with a top-class showing. The 27-year-old was gifted the opening goal after a big goalkeeping blunder from Emiliano Martinez in the sixth minute.
However, he fully deserved his second goal after the hour mark. Fernandes unleashed a powerful shot in the 67th minute that left Martinez pretty much rooted to his spot.
Despite his brace, United conceded two late goals to Jacob Ramsey and Philippe Coutinho. Fernandes did not deserve the result on the back of a tireless individual display.
Aside from his goals, he managed four long balls, four tackles, two interceptions while winning two take-ons. The Portuguese registered 77 touches during the game.
It was a terrific all-round showing from the United star, who deserved to be on the winning side. A couple of defensive lapses paved the way for a disappointing result in the end.
Following the draw, United are five points adrift of the Champions League places. They have a game in hand over fourth-placed West Ham United, but that is hardly an advantage.
They have picked up just five points from the last four league games. There needs to be a massive improvement over the coming weeks if they harbour any hopes of a top-four finish.
Stats from SofaScore.com.
Read: Ralf Rangnick impressed with Anthony Elanga’s showing vs Aston Villa.
- Erik ten Hag says Antony is ‘unlikely’ to be available for FA Cup final vs Man City
- Man Utd in front row to sign Rasmus Hojlund, contacts have intensified with Atalanta
- Man Utd ‘at the head’ of the race to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd could offer Harry Maguire in player-plus-cash deal to sign Mason Mount
- Man Utd could offer Scott McTominay as a makeweight to sign Declan Rice
- Man Utd could make surprise move for Empoli goalkeeper Guglielmo Vicario
- Kim Min-jae has his window wide open on Man Utd, will cost €58m
- Manuel Ugarte excited by Manchester United interest amid Chelsea and PSG links
- Victor Osimhen’s agent has received calls from Man Utd but Napoli firm on price tag
- Manchester United in talks to sign Atalanta’s Rasmus Hojlund and Eintracht Frankfurt’s Randal Kolo Muani