Bruno Fernandes has taken to social media to express his feelings after squandering a last-gasp penalty in Manchester United’s 1-0 home defeat to Aston Villa on Saturday.
Despite enjoying plenty of possession and attempting 28 shots on goal, the Red Devils succumbed to a narrow loss, courtesy of Kortney Hause’s 88th-minute header.
Things could have gone in a different direction if Fernandes converted the 93rd-minute spot-kick, but the Portuguese ace skied the ball to the stands.
Given the gravity of the situation, many people expected Cristiano Ronaldo to step up and take responsibility.
However, the 36-year-old allowed his younger compatriot to try his luck, which resulted in a wayward finish that ultimately cost United their first Premier League defeat of the season.
After squandering a clear-cut opportunity to level things up at the Theatre of Dreams, Fernandes has inevitably come under heavy criticism.
The ex-Sporting Lisbon playmaker took to Instagram to send a lengthy message to the Red Devils faithful, assuring them that he won’t let Saturday’s miss affect his self-confidence moving forward.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and his men can ill-afford to dwell about an underwhelming result against Villa as they have to prepare for the upcoming Champions League meeting with Villarreal.
After falling to a shocking 2-1 defeat to Young Boys in the opening round, the Red Devils do not have the luxury of dropping more points against the reigning Europa League champions.
- Crystal Palace in direct talks with Man Utd for Donny van de Beek
- Roma join AC Milan in race to sign Eric Bailly
- Man Utd agree to loan Anthony Martial to Sevilla
- Man Utd favourites to sign Boubacar Kamara
- AC Milan still interested in Man Utd defender Eric Bailly
- Man Utd keeping tabs on Porto winger Luis Diaz
- Man Utd shortlist four candidates to become their next manager
- Juventus and Sevilla exploring Anthony Martial loan deal
- Anthony Martial plays key role in Man Utd’s late win vs West Ham
- Ralf Rangnick reacts to Marcus Rashford’s dramatic winner against West Ham