Bruno Fernandes claims Alejandro Garnacho did not get chances earlier in the season because of his poor attitude.
Manchester United beat Real Sociedad 1-0 in the Europa League last night, but it wasn’t enough for them to finish top of the group.
Garnacho scored his first senior goal, which was the difference between the two sides.
After the match, Fernandes gave his verdict on the 18-year-old.
He said (via The Athletic), “He was good but he knows that we expect a lot from him. Obviously, he’s still really young – he’s doing really well.
“At the beginning of the season, he was not at his best. On tour, he didn’t have the best attitude that he should’ve had. That’s why he didn’t get his chances until now.
“He’s getting his chances because he’s training better, he’s having a different attitude and he’s deserving his chances.”
The Spanish-born forward barely featured for United this season. Even after a promising campaign last year, he mostly warmed the bench under Erik ten Hag.
Last season, he won the club’s prestigious under-18 Player of the Year award.
The manager handed him his full debut last week against FC Sheriff where he produced an impressive display.
He was backed to start on the left flank again last night and repaid his manager’s faith.
Fernandes’ revelation about Garnacho’s attitude does come as a surprise.
However, it also highlights that Ten Hag is adamant about his principles.
The teenager is undoubtedly a promising talent, but he has to keep a positive attitude if he wants to go the distance.
Ten Hag is known to develop young talents, and Garnacho can benefit massively from his presence.
It is up to the youngster to keep impressing in training sessions and knock on the manager’s door to get more game time.
- Kim Min-jae set for Napoli farewell, Man Utd will trigger his release clause
- Erik ten Hag says Antony is ‘unlikely’ to be available for FA Cup final vs Man City
- Man Utd in front row to sign Rasmus Hojlund, contacts have intensified with Atalanta
- Man Utd ‘at the head’ of the race to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd could offer Harry Maguire in player-plus-cash deal to sign Mason Mount
- Man Utd could offer Scott McTominay as a makeweight to sign Declan Rice
- Man Utd could make surprise move for Empoli goalkeeper Guglielmo Vicario
- Kim Min-jae has his window wide open on Man Utd, will cost €58m
- Manuel Ugarte excited by Manchester United interest amid Chelsea and PSG links
- Victor Osimhen’s agent has received calls from Man Utd but Napoli firm on price tag