Manchester United and Portugal midfielder Bruno Fernandes has been named captain of the club, according to Fabrizio Romano.
This comes after Erik ten Hag’s decision to strip Harry Maguire of the armband amid the Englishman’s uncertain future.
While Maguire has fallen down the pecking order, the defender was disappointed to have lost his place as United skipper.
Maguire’s first-team absence for large spells of the recently-concluded campaign meant that Fernandes was entrusted with the responsibility of captaining United for most of last season.
The Portugal international has now been handed the mantle permanently.
Ten Hag must have had a straightforward decision naming Fernandes as his next captain, having waxed lyrical about the 28-year-old’s leadership qualities on several occasions.
“First, as captain, he’s an example on the pitch with the energy he puts in,” Ten Hag told the Daily Mail back in February.
“He is so important for the team in our tactical approach and transition – he’s a great example.
“He can match and cope with the load standards that are really high and can take a lot of games – he’s a great example for everyone in the squad.”
Since arriving at Old Trafford in January 2020, Fernandes has proven to be a superb addition due to his quality and availability.
He played the most first-team minutes of any player in Europe last time out, which is a testament to his high fitness level.
Having picked up his first piece of silverware with United by winning last season’s Carabao Cup, Fernandes will be keen to enjoy a trophy-laden spell as leader of the team, following in the footsteps of Old Trafford greats of yesteryear.
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling