Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has decided to name Bruno Fernandes as the new captain of the club, according to Portuguese outlet A Bola.
Harry Maguire confirmed yesterday that he is no longer in the leadership role following a discussion with the head coach, who explained his reasons.
The England international expressed disappointment over the decision, but added that he will fully support the next club captain of the Red Devils.
Ten Hag is expected to confirm the new skipper in a team meeting today, and A Bola claim that Fernandes has already been chosen by the Dutchman.
The Portuguese outlet reveal that the playmaker will be the new captain of United, having already been the temporary leader in the recent 2022/23 season.
The 28-year-old wore the armband on a regular basis last season as Maguire was largely on the bench after becoming out-of-favour under Ten Hag.
A Bola claim that the decision has ‘already’ been made by the manager and there is ‘no turning back’.
Ten Hag had a straightforward decision
With Maguire stepping down from the captain’s role, Ten Hag had a straightforward decision to make.
Fernandes has been a leader on the pitch for United over recent years with his vocal feedback. He does not shy away from conveying his thoughts to the referee.
He had a slow start to the previous campaign, but picked up form after the World Cup, and was one of the club’s best performers alongside Marcus Rashford.
Fernandes ended the season with 14 goals and 15 assists to his name. He will be aiming for an improvement on that tally as he is more than capable of doing so.
In our opinion, Raphael Varane could be the new vice-captain of United. We already saw a hint from Ten Hag in the Leeds United friendly when Fernandes was on holiday.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action