Manchester United midfielder Bruno Fernandes has said that Benfica striker Goncalo Ramos has all the attributes to succeed in the Premier League.
The 21-year-old is one of the best young strikers in European football. He has had a fantastic season with 27 goals and 12 assists from just 47 appearances.
United are one of the clubs interested in signing him and speaking to Sport TV (via A Bola), Fernandes emphasised that his compatriot is ready to brace the Premier League.
The former Sporting star said that he is ‘very intense’, ‘presses well’ and has a strong aerial presence. He added that Ramos has the potential to be ‘one of the best’ strikers in the world.
He said: “Gonçalo has all the conditions to play in the Premier League, he is very intense, he presses very well and he is very good inside the area. It surprised me in the selection, not only me but the rest of my colleagues.”
“Physically he’s strong, he’s still young and he’s going to get better. If he continues to work as he has done, I think he has the potential to be one of the best strikers in the world, but he needs to go to a more competitive league to prove it.”
Fernandes went on to say that he has all the qualities to play in the English top-flight and he would personally sign him for Manchester United if he was the sporting director of the club.
He added: “The best players always come in handy here, whether it’s Gonçalo or another player. I think he has all the qualities to play in the Premier League, and when I say in the Premier League, I also say Manchester United.”
“I think he can be a great reference in the coming years, but it is not yet in my hands to be sporting director. When I am, I will make these decisions.”
Ramos would be a perfect striker signing
The 21-year-old has been a revelation for Benfica this term with 39 goal involvements in all competitions.
He was also excellent for Portugal at the World Cup. The striker was a surprise starter versus Switzerland in the last 16. He made his mark with an outstanding hat-trick and an assist in the 6-1 triumph.
Hence, his reputation has been increasing steadily and he would be a fantastic acquisition for manager Erik ten Hag, considering his overall attributes would suit the playing style at United.
Apart from his goal contributions, Ramos has also impressed with his mobility and ability to switch positions. He possesses a good work rate and does not shy away from tackling defenders.
His hold-up play is another plus point. At a young age, he is already an established striker and has all the traits to become a world-class striker. Fernandes will be hoping that happens at United.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns