Manchester United midfielder Bruno Fernandes does not envisage the prospect of Cristiano Ronaldo leaving the club during this summer’s transfer window.
Ronaldo returned to Old Trafford after 12 long years last summer. He had a superb homecoming season, registering 24 goals across all competitions for the Red Devils.
Despite his contributions, United finished a disappointing sixth in the Premier League. They also failed to win silverware for the fifth campaign running.
Of late, his agent Jorge Mendes has spoken with Bayern Munich and Chelsea, but United are clear that the £27 million-rated star won’t be leaving them this summer.
In an interview with Portuguese outlet Record, Fernandes reiterated the same by saying that the club may not contemplate losing a player of Ronaldo’s value.
He said: “We’re both on vacation, no one bothers friends on vacation – I hope on the 4th [July] to meet him to train there [at Manchester United], I’m not expecting more than that.”
“As far as I know, there is nothing more than that, but everyone takes care of their future. [But] I don’t believe that the club is willing to lose a value like Cristiano.”
Ten Hag clearly considers Ronaldo as an important player in the squad, and the 37-year-old could be leading the line regularly next season.
The initial plan this summer was to sign Darwin Nunez from Benfica, but the Uruguayan decided to make the move to rivals Liverpool.
This has changed the club’s focus for the transfer window. Ten Hag is now said to be eyeing a more versatile forward rather than a striker.
Owing to this, there could be more reliance on Ronaldo up front. In his possible absence, Marcus Rashford could operate as the centre-forward.
Rashford is not a natural from the position, but Ten Hag is prepared to trial him from the role during the upcoming pre-season friendlies.
Depending on the outcome, the club may contemplate whether a new striker is necessary, but that won’t impact Ronaldo’s future.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag reveals his plans for Anthony Martial after injury comeback
- Three Man Utd stars with a big point to prove against Omonia
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Omonia, Ronaldo and Martial start
- Manchester United’s Five Greatest European Performances
- Man Utd include Iqbal and Garnacho in 22-man squad for Omonia clash
- Four Man Utd stars miss training ahead of Omonia Nicosia clash
- Man Utd should sign Goncalo Ramos as Cristiano Ronaldo’s replacement in January
- Europa League Preview: Omonia Nicosia vs Manchester United
- Saudi PIF were offered 30% stake in Man Utd before Newcastle takeover – The Athletic
- Omonia Nicosia vs Manchester United: Europa League preview, team news & predicted starting XI