Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes delivered a sublime performance during the terrific 3-2 comeback win over Nottingham Forest in the Premier League on Saturday.
The Red Devils made the worst possible start at Old Trafford as they conceded twice in the opening four minutes of the game. Christian Eriksen pulled one goal back in the 17th minute.
Casemiro missed a golden opportunity to put United level before the break, but he made amends by scoring the equaliser in the 52nd minute. The goal was created by Fernandes’ brilliance.
The Portugal international played a sublime one-two with Marcus Rashford from a free-kick before putting the ball on the plate for Casemiro to nod home from a couple of yards out.
Fernandes clinched the game for United with the winning goal from the penalty spot in the 76th minute. The 28-year-old truly led by example as they secured a memorable victory at home.
Aside from his goal contributions, he had a brilliant 107 touches with 55 passes and six long balls. He won seven duels and three tackles. It was an exceptional display from the Portuguese.
Of course, he was guilty of losing possession on 34 occasions in the game, but that did not matter in the end as United came on top with a morale-boosting win ahead of the Arsenal trip.
United must improve their defensive record in order to compete for the Premier League title, but manager Erik ten Hag should be delighted with the way they responded versus Forest.
The club travel to the Emirates Stadium to face the Gunners in eight days’ time. Mikel Arteta’s side have also been defensive prone. United should fancy back-to-back wins before the international break.
Stats from Sofascore.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions