Manchester United midfielder Bruno Fernandes delivered a fantastic performance during the club’s convincing 4-1 win over Real Betis in the Europa League last night.
The Portugal international received criticism from some fans on Sunday following his underwhelming display in the 7-0 loss at Liverpool. He provided the perfect response yesterday.
Fernandes barely impressed from the left side of the attack at Anfield and there were no surprises that manager Erik ten Hag decided to play him from his preferred number 10 position.
The Red Devils captain put on a brilliant show with one goal and one assist and he was also indirectly involved for the opening goal scored by Marcus Rashford’s moment of brilliance.
Aside from his goal contributions, Fernandes had 97 touches with 54 accurate passes. He provided five key passes in the final third while winning seven duels and 100% of his take-ons (3/3).
After United’s humiliation at Anfield, it was anticipated that Ten Hag would make wholesale changes but surprisingly, the Dutchman decided to stick with the same starting 11 against Betis.
The first half was a mixed bag for the Red Devils with several scoring chances spurned but it was a much better second half with Antony, Fernandes and Wout Weghorst finding the net.
United’s front four were all on the scoresheet against Betis at Old Trafford and this should please the manager. The club must now replicate the showing against Southampton on Sunday.
The Red Devils entertain the Saints in their final Premier League game before the international break. Ten Hag will expect no less than a victory as United look to solidify their top-four spot.
United face Betis on the road in the second leg of their Europa League last 16 tie next week before an FA Cup quarter-final at home against Fulham. They will be away at Newcastle after the international break.
Stats from Sofascore.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books