Manchester United playmaker Bruno Fernandes entered the club’s record books on Wednesday night following his assist for Anthony Elanga’s late equaliser against Atletico Madrid.
The Portugal international has been a revelation for the Red Devils since his move from Sporting Lisbon two years ago. In just 113 appearances, he has bagged 49 goals and 38 assists.
Having set the bar high last season, the 27-year-old has not quite had the same impact this term, but his form has been particularly exceptional in the club’s Champions League campaign.
Fernandes assisted for five successive group games before he was rested for the dead-rubber against Young Boys. Last night, he continued his fine run, assisting for the sixth straight European outing.
The Portuguese has now created Champions League history. He has become the first player from an English club to register assists in six consecutive appearances, eclipsing the previous record held by David Beckham.
Beckham previously assisted for five straight games in 1998, as per OptaJoe. There are no surprises that Fernandes is breaking individual records, given the exceptional impact he has had since his arrival.
His form between December and January was particularly concerning, but he appears to be getting back to his best ahead of what could be a crucial end to the campaign for the Red Devils.
The club are facing a tough battle to finish in the Champions League places this term. They are currently fourth in the league standings, but have rivals with games in hand behind them.
Having registered frustrating draws against Southampton and Burnley lately, they can ill-afford another setback when they entertain Watford in the Premier League this weekend.
Their attacking performances have not been up to the mark with clear-cut chances missed. However, the main issue has lied in the backline where there has been a lack of cohesion.
This has contributed to squandering first-half leads. United need to make a quick start off the blocks on Saturday.
Fernandes could be influential, having bagged two goals and two assists from his last three games.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Manchester United find out FA Cup semi-final schedule
- Man Utd can prise away new ‘Erling Haaland’ for €50-60m this summer
- Victor Lindelof key to unlocking Denzel Dumfries’ switch to Manchester United
- Man Utd in pole position to sign wantaway Barcelona whizz-kid Ansu Fati
- Dean Henderson rejected Erik ten Hag’s proposal to return to Man United in January
- David de Gea turns down latest Manchester United contract
- Pep Guardiola’s comments on Harry Kane should serve as a warning to Man United
- Man Utd face competition from Chelsea and Real Madrid for Goncalo Ramos
- Man Utd star Scott McTominay scores stunning brace in Scotland’s 2-0 win vs Spain
- Manchester United’s Top-10 Highest Earners