Manchester United recovered from a goal down to secure a 2-1 victory over Brentford in the Premier League on Saturday after Scott McTominay came off the bench to bag a late brace.
The Scotland international midfielder replaced Sofyan Amrabat in the 87th minute as manager Erik ten Hag desperately sought to salvage a point against the Bees.
The decision proved smart as McTominay drew Man United level in the 93rd minute before grabbing a 97th-minute winner to send Old Trafford into overdrive.
The 26-year-old took to Instagram to thank the fans after the game, and Bruno Fernandes and Donny van de Beek were among the people who reacted in the comments section.
McTominay scored just two Premier League goals across the last two seasons but equalled that tally in just a few minutes of action yesterday.
The Man United midfielder spent 11 minutes on the pitch and had five touches, but that was enough to earn his side all three points and ease the pressure on Ten Hag.
The Red Devils were heading towards a fifth league defeat after falling behind to an early goal from Brentford.
A run of three consecutive defeats across all competitions would have piled more pressure on the manager following recent losses to Galatasaray and Crystal Palace.
However, McTominay saved the day, but Ten Hag will need much more from his players if they are to win major silverware this term.
They registered six shots on target of their attempted 19 efforts before the midfielder came on, and they need to become sharper in the final third going forward.
Man United head into the international break on a positive note and will hope to continue from where they stopped when action resumes in a fortnight against Sheffield United.
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions
- Gareth Southgate to hold talks with Kobbie Mainoo as he is desperate to see him pledge his international future to England
- Three Manchester United changes Erik ten Hag should make for the must-win UCL clash against Galatasaray