Former Manchester United star Robin van Persie believes the Red Devils should seek to land the services of Edinson Cavani on a free transfer at the end of the current campaign.
The Red Devils have been dependent on Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial and Mason Greenwood for the frontline duties this term but the former has been ruled out for a few months due to a back injury.
The winter loan signing of Odion Ighalo should provide the competition for the striker’s role but any permanent deal for the Nigerian would depend on his performances in the coming months.
During a Q&A session on Twitter, a United fan had asked Van Persie to recommend a possible signing for the club and the Dutchman was quite clear as he mentioned the name of Cavani.
— Robin van Persie (@Persie_Official) February 3, 2020
United were obviously holding an interest in signing Cavani from Paris Saint-Germain during the winter transfer window but they were put off by the demands of Les Parisiens and the player himself.
As per The Times‘ Paul Hirst, Les Parisiens wanted around £16.8m for the striker’s transfer while Cavani had made the request for a two-and-a-half year deal worth £360,000-a-week.
This would have definitely proved a gamble for a striker, who will be turning 33 this month and it remains to be seen whether the club will revisit their interest when Cavani’s deal with Les Parisiens expires in the summer.
United are scheduled to face Chelsea away from home in the Premier League when they return after the winter break. Ighalo could make his debut for the Red Devils in some capacity.
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow