Brighton & Hove Albion will move to sign Manchester United graduate Brandon Williams if Manchester City manage to prise away Marc Cucurella this summer, The Mirror report.
Pep Guardiola’s side currently have their sights on landing Cucurella after parting ways with Oleksandr Zinchenko, who made the switch to Arsenal.
They are yet to meet Brighton’s £50 million price tag for the Spaniard, but the Seagulls believe the left-back will eventually end up with the Cityzens.
As a result, they have prepared a contingency plan for his exit. The club are aiming to sign Williams in a deal worth £15m from the Red Devils.
Brighton would be an ideal club for Williams to develop
Williams missed out on the club’s pre-season tour with an injury, but the chances were less that he would feature under manager Erik ten Hag.
The club graduate made a bright start to his United career during the 2019/2020 campaign, but has since struggled to establish himself.
United went on to sign Alex Telles to bolster the left-back position in the summer of 2020, and they have now added Tyrell Malacia to their ranks.
Williams is basically the fourth-choice left-back in the squad. Of course, he is right-footed, but has barely played from right-back in his career.
The best solution for him could be to move on. United share the same stance. Him, Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Axel Tuanzebe are likely to make way.
Williams’ loan stint at Norwich City was far from successful last term, but he was playing for a team that were in a relegation battle throughout.
Brighton finished an impressive ninth in the league last season, and Williams could prosper under a highly reputed manager in Graham Potter.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd very interested in signing Brighton prodigy Moises Caicedo
- Joel Glazer firmly against the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo
- Manchester United offered the chance to sign Antoine Griezmann
- Man Utd weigh up stunning deal for Casemiro
- Man Utd still considering move for Moussa Dembele
- talkSPORT and Fabrizio Romano claim Manchester United are closing in on £42m deal for Matheus Cunha
- Hakim Ziyech remains a priority for Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag
- Erik ten Hag makes direct request to Manchester United board to sign ‘scintillating’ Ajax attacker Antony
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Man Utd to accelerate Wan-Bissaka’s exit to sign Sergino Dest