Brighton & Hove Albion CEO Paul Barber is unsure whether Alexis Mac Allister will remain at the Amex Stadium next season.
As Fabrizio Romano reported, Manchester United and Liverpool are interested in signing the midfielder.
He is having a fine season with the Seagulls and played a crucial role in Argentina’s World Cup triumph last year.
In a recent interview with talkSPORT, Barber failed to rule out the possibility of a transfer exit for Mac Allister.
He said: “Well, with Alexis, we sat down before the World Cup with Carlos, Alexis’ father and his agent, and agreed on a new contract and that was about making sure Alexis was as settled as possible as he could be before the World Cup.
“And afterwards we ensured he got back focused on the Premier League, which to his credit he absolutely has done and has performed very well.
“What the summer brings, we don’t know and we do know that our best players are going to come under a lot of scrutiny and a lot of interest and we’ll manage that as we always do, if and when it happens.
Man United should not overpay for Alexis Mac Allister
The 24-year-old is known for his clever off-the-ball movements that help the players around him to benefit.
He is a swift passer of the ball and likes to draw fouls from the opposition.
One of his biggest strengths is the versatility he offers at the centre of the park. He can play as a holding, central or attacking midfielder.
Erik ten Hag wants his midfielders to play long passes to involve wingers who are told to remain wide on the flanks.
Mac Allister does this regularly to use the pace possessed by Kaoru Mitoma and Solly March.
The Telegraph reported last week that the Seagulls want at least £70 million to sanction his departure.
He would be a useful addition to United’s squad, but spending over £70m on him wouldn’t be an intelligent move.
The creative midfielder produced another impressive performance for Brighton against United in the FA Cup semi-final.
He took a brilliant free-kick early in the game to force a great save from David de Gea. However, he failed to help his side reach the FA Cup final as United prevailed on penalties.
The Red Devils are hunting for a world-class striker, and the bulk of their summer transfer budget will be allocated to that player.
Harry Maguire or Victor Lindelof may leave the club in search of more playing time. This Ten Hag to also sign another top-quality centre-back.
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December