Manchester United Players

Breaking News: United accept 80m Ronaldo bid

As reported on ManUtd.com, Manchester United have accepted an unconditional 80m transfer bid from Real Madrid for Ronaldo. The decision was taken after the player requested the move again this summer and is expected to go through by the end of the month.

United will in all likelihood use the funds to bring in a winger and a striker as replacements for Ronaldo and the likely-to-depart Tevez, with Ribery and Benzema the two names most linked to United.

We’ll have more on this as the story develops – for now you can read more here (ManUtd.com) and here (Soccerlens.com), and discuss it below in the comments.

1. Karl

12 June 2009 at 09:18

Now that the ‘shock’ is over, I’m actually much, much more happy over this news. I really think that Ronaldo to Madrid is a blessing for Manchester United (perhaps similiar to what Henry to Barca was for Arsenal).
    I know I will be in a VERY minority here, but I think we should use the money from the Ronaldo deal to start paying off the debt. Also, Ronaldo’s wages of £120k p/w (£6.2m p/a), which would most likely have increased to about £200k p/w (£10m p/a) – had he stayed and re-negotiated his contract as planned – can go along way towards covering the interest payments. My main reason for this being that a “Ronaldo replacement” will inevitably flop, regardless of how much we paid for him, just the same way as what a “Keane replacement” would have flopped. I think the wise thing to do is to “ride this season out by trusting the squad”. Seeing that we already signed a new mega-sponsorship deal with Aon, I would imagine this to be the wise route to follow. Assess the team without Ronaldo for a season and only then decide where we need to re-inforce. Knee-jerk reactions now will cost us big-time (not only in transfer costs).

In addition to this, I believe the No.7 shirt should go to none other than Mr. Dimitar Berbatov.

2. Karl

12 June 2009 at 10:31

Another positive spin on this is that a Ronaldo-less United – with our approach of “defend in numbers” – will free up Berbatov from defensive duties and allow him to focus more on playmaking.

Also, Ronaldo’s goal contribution we cannot deny. It would be stupid to say he is anything less than a great player and goal-scorer. BUT, for all his goals, we need to realise that his ‘attempts-per-goals’ ratio is in truth arguably on not far off from that of my beloved Anderson. Not saying or implying that Anderson is now a better goal-scorer than Ronaldo, just that it’s not that great and more importantly, it indicates that most of the play stopped with him (a winger that’s supposed to supply).

So, Adious Ronaldo. Thanks for the great moments. I wish you all the best at Real. Long live Manchester United ❗

3. john freakin' o'shea

12 June 2009 at 10:43

4. RedDevilEddy

12 June 2009 at 11:00

Foster
    Brown Rio Vidic Evra
    Valencia Carrick Anderson Ribery
    Rooney Benzema

Our team next season… 😎

5. colver

12 June 2009 at 12:05

If you believe the Daily Mail Fergie will have £100 million to spend if he wishes. It is also saying that Fergie sanctioned the deal the moment he heard £80 million was on the table.

I have a feeling it was all about the money. I reckon last year Madrid thought they could play on Ronaldo’s unrest to get him on the cheap for around £50 million. Obviously we weren’t going to sell him cheap so told them our valuation: £80 million. Calderon balked, but when Perez came on board, no stranger to the Galactico policy he was willing to cough up the money-done deal.

Im hearing Ribery is going for £60 million. Im sorry but that is way too much. Yes they can get a lot better but there is still an element of risk because they’ve never played in the Premiership before, do not have all that much Champions League experience and are still a little way off the finished article.

Now if we got both of them for £60 million I would be over the moon and within a season Id be saying “Ronaldo who?”.

Looks like Milan have snapped up Hernanes. We should really look into the South American market. We have the youth market cornered but there is a lot of talent in the mid-range price bracket: people like Douglas Costa, Keirrison, Zuculini, etc.

The European market is saturated, all the good players are with the big clubs and the up and comings are overpriced.

It would be nice for us to uncover the next Kaka, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo (mark 1 AND mark 2).

12 June 2009 at 12:15

Hi Grog. This is in response to comment no 312.
    I am a regular reader of this blog but never contributed till yesterday. and to be honest I enjoyed reading the stuff written by you including the Hunter related rant as well. As i am one the biggest fan of Hunter. But, I can safely say that you have lost your mind after what happened yesterday.
    What all BS you are talking about that United is hypocrite they betrayed and all the non sense. Do you live in realty or not??? The lad just wanted to go. He kept on asking and moaning for the trnsfer then how on this earth you would have been able to hold on to him. See, understand one thing fair and square that he would have never signed the new contract or contract extension with United that was loud and clear. So with every passing year his value would have diminished. And i think if i am not wrong next year or may be year after he could bought himself out of contract or would have left for free.
    So then there goes 80 mn. So be realistic mate. For a person who was not happy staying with us we got such mad money so i am happy in a way.
    But, one thing for sure i would have love see some like hunter coming as a part of deal. Never mind i heard of stories that United are checking on the Robben they may even do that for Hunter.
    On that i will stand by you. But for this BS rant that you are going on with i would like say one thing only
    ” Get real you stupid Jack A**”

7. ROOOOONEY

12 June 2009 at 12:25

wow onkar cool down

8. Clinton Pillay

12 June 2009 at 12:26

I have seen other news where it is said the Alexis Sanchez’s agent is in England.

I think this would be the new Number 7 replacement.

It is not a World Superstar, but maybe that’s what we need to fill in the number 7 jersey.

With all the names mentioned below, high expectations would follow.

Who ever takes that number 7 jersey would have to make it their own, just as Cantona did, just as Beckham did and just like ronaldo did.

I haven’t seen this Sanchez person play but he is the Chile International number 7 and looks good in Red.

12 June 2009 at 12:35

@Onkar: I like a disagreement with Groggy (or to wind him up) as much as the next man, but chill yer beans, yeah?

Countdown to wrath of Grognard : 5….4…3…2…

12 June 2009 at 13:19

@Grognard: Best way to deal with a BAD APPLE, is to throw it away out of the feckin barrel BEFORE it infects all the rest of the Apples around it, with its POISON! That’s how I feel about Ronnie AND Tevez 👿 .

Regards Lil man Nani, awwww bless the lad, well at least you got to admire his ambition, misguided or not Grog. I mean, it takes real courage to stick your head above the hideout and say, hey I can be as good as Ronnie. Least I want the chance to try, just at least give me more opportunities. I know you admire that sort of attitude Grog, where people stand up and say, I can do that too. Everybody knows that Nani is not Ronnie and never will be, but who knows that his talent, and he does have talent, cannot be harnessed to produce a good harvest for our team, IF Fergie gives him the amount of petting and attention, and builds up his confidence as he did Ronnie’s. At least the lad is showing ambition, even if it is what many of you lot will believe is above his station. I have just seen something in the lad, but he needs a Manager who BELIEVES in him. I am reticent to think Fergie is that manager 🙄 🙂 .

11. tevez

12 June 2009 at 13:22

@colver: I would pay £60 million for ribery. We just sold a player for £80 million, so a reasonable replacement is going to cost a ridiculous amount of money. £60 million is reasonable under the circumstances. If ronaldo is worth £80m, then ribery is worth £60m. Basically.

12 June 2009 at 13:28

@Craig Mc: Maybe Fergie will now shower Nani with the attention that Ronaldo got in his early years. He is a confidence player, no doubt about it, and this might be great for him. He obviously believes he has the ability to step up, and I don’t think any of us would wish against it.

I hope it works out for him/us! He’s got all the attributes to be a world class winger (fast, crossing, willing to take on players) and he’s no pushover. His first year was exciting, and last year he barely played.

Next seasons fixtures are announced on Wednesday. I just want it to be the 15th of August tomorrow.

12 June 2009 at 13:31

@Onkar: I agree with MOST of your sentiments regarding the sale of Ronnie, and Ronnie’s determination to GO ONLY TO MADRID, so forcing United managements hand. I agree that under these circumstances we got a fantastic deal financial wise.

What I DON’T agree with, is the way YOU EXPRESSED yourself in bringing your points. As you are new, I would just like to remind you, as many have been reminded before you, that getting PERSONALLY ABUSIVE towards another member of the blog, is forbidden on Red Rants. We can disagree with somebody else, but we DO NOT make our opinions into a personal attack on someone else or their opinions, however much they are opposite to ours. Learn fast, or leave the blog mate, that is the philosophy of Red Rants. Take it from someone who knows eh? 😀 .

14. RedDevilEddy

12 June 2009 at 13:34

I want Ashley Young and Sergio Aguero.

But I think we will end up with Ribery and Benzema…

12 June 2009 at 13:36

@Traverse: Trav mi man, your comments about our man Nani GLADDEN my heart mate 😀 . I hope SAF does just that, and that Nani can become all he desires to become. It must have been bloody impossible for him having to live in Ronnie’s shadow 🙄 .

12 June 2009 at 13:40

@colver: I’ve heard Keirisson is an utterly brilliant player!

12 June 2009 at 13:47

@Darth Red Diablo: Why thank you kind Sir 😆 . I’ll take that 😎 😀 .

18. RedDevilEddy

12 June 2009 at 13:52

Now that I have removed Ronaldo from my United team on FIFA 09, Nani is scoring goals for fun! 😀 Nani on one side, Giggs on the other. Nani has been on fire along with Anderson…

12 June 2009 at 14:09

@RedDevilEddy: Hope that’s a good omen for Nani Eddi mi man. But Lil Man is supposed to be leaving us for Italy, so I am a wee bit confused 😆 😆 .

12 June 2009 at 14:10

@Craig Mc: My hope is that he now becomes his own person, not Little Ronaldo.

Word is that our options for replacing the winker are Ribery or Sanchez, in that order. I’d expect either of those to get the 7 shirt. Lyon will sell, and Benzema will go wherever wants him, probably for £28mil. Don’t think he’ll be given the number 7 shirt. He’s 10 at Lyon, and Rooney is 10 here, Berba is 9.

Maybe 2 or 18 will become available for this season….

12 June 2009 at 14:38

@Traverse: I don’t really know much about Alexis Sanchez, because I don’t watch much foreign footy mate. Whats the guy like then? Also, Roma are saying that United are after their striker vucinivic. sorry if that is spelled wrong 😆 .

22. RedDevilEddy

12 June 2009 at 14:54

Wigan have today come out and said that United are in discussions with them about Antonio Valencia. United have followed him for a couple of months, and havr gotten a bid accepted.

Looks like its Valencia who is his replacement…

23. Madschester United

12 June 2009 at 14:57

@RedDevilEddy: Has anyone heard of Henri Saivet. Very young 18-19 but extreme talent from France.

Le Arse are looking into him now-a-days.

24. Andrei

12 June 2009 at 15:06

@Madschester United: Football Manager gem that one is.

Also Vucinic is a brilliant player. Love him. Plays in the central-drift left position and is a big-game goalscorer and a runner. Never-give up type of player with tons a good deal of skill.

12 June 2009 at 15:17

@Andrei: I remember Vucinic playing against us for Roma, he was unlucky not to score. I hope we can get him from Roma then 🙂 .

12 June 2009 at 15:20

@RedDevilEddy: I’m really not sure about Valencia Bro, granted he has pace, but his end product is absent in front of goal. Maybe he is one of these old fashioned wingers, who believes that the wingers job is to just get pin point crosses into the strikers. He chose United over Madrid though, so he is my kind of guy 😆 .

27. Mr.Muhozi

12 June 2009 at 15:28

@Craig Mc: kerrison is a top talent and has all the abilities to be one of the best strikers in the world, he would suit uniteds system perfectly, i wrote a report about him a while ago he is probably the 3rd best talent in brasil behind hernanes and douglas costa, some may argue nilmar is probably the best brasil have to offer atm

28. Pingback: Ribery, Sanchez, Silva or Eto’o? Who will replace Ronaldo?!

29. Rd

12 June 2009 at 16:20

I really don’t get the “disappointed in the way United yielded nonsense”. If you followed the saga last season, one thing Ronaldo NEVER did was ask for a transfer or put in a request. On the United website, its clear that this season Ronaldo DID put in a request and Fergie obliged. Who can blame him? If I was a manager always trying to make a player stay for 3 years, I’d get tired too. Glad United got the maximum amount for him. It’d have been sad if we’d kept him like Rudd(who had put in transfer requests THREE times) and then sold him low.

12 June 2009 at 17:41

@Mr.Muhozi: Among those names you mentioned, who’s the most level-headed and/or professionally driven? I have some sort of theory of mine that players can have great skill but if they’re not motivated to succeed they’ll never fulfill their potential.
    For all of his flaws Ronaldo was very, very driven whereas Denilson probably wasn’t…

@Traverse: 2? It would be a first for aa striker to wear number 2!! 🙂

31. One United-pls read

12 June 2009 at 18:59

To All Ranters,

Granted i have not ranted in a while, but i have actively read what you all have had to say, and to be frank it is bloody irritating. while we all share our passion for manchester united, most of you refuse to be objective.
    All this “not competing at the top level” next season and being on a downward spiral is pure and utter bullshit. Granted we had a poor showing in the champions league final. infact it actually quite embarassing! and we did not finish strongly in the league(with those fucking scousers breathing down our necks) (fact is we were able to get in to those positions in the first place). but we choose to condemn the team. we were competing on all bloody fronts, and its only natural we fatigued!!!!! i mean what are they supposed to be, SUPER FUCKING HEROES.
    2. The languid berbatov: they only thing he did not do in actual fact is score more goals, he sure created plenty. so is he a flop, fuck no!. if we r honest we knew he was not a 30 goal a season player! hoow about calling golden boy rooney a flop, for fluffing 80% of chances created by the team. but no he is the golden english boy, who sacrifices for the team. FUCK THAT! if he were so efficient in scoring goals, he would not be played else where ok! anybody can have energy to play on the left, hence park- all you need is a good work rate and determination. btw, i still think wazza is our best player, by a long shot!!! Valencia would be a good option to have as player, he is way better than what park is now! but not better than nani. Nani i beleive will come good, all he needs is consistency in the team, a healty number of consecutive games!. imagine paying ronnie once every 6 games! c’mon
    3. we need a central midfielder, BOLLOCKS!!!!!: no we dont, if we get one, GREAT!, if not, then so be it! Fletcher was our player of the season, along with vidic. when fletch played, owen “injury prone” hargreaves was not missed!, Anderson is an attacking midfielder, has had injuries, and has been played in about three different positions and has not really had a decent run in the side. carrick we know was immense-enough said. Gibson is coming through as well as possebon. With Fletch, Ando, Hargo, Carrick, Scholes,giggs, Gibson and Possebon, why the fuck would we need another midfielder!!!!!!. (THE MIDFIELD AGAINST THE GUNNERS WAS ACTUALLY AMAZING)
    4. “Madrids boy” ronaldo was fine last season. Granted he was not as prolific as he was last season, but is that season ever going to be replicated by any winger anytime soon. when things were down he rescued us countless times. He is attitude is an embarassment was to the club. but dont tell me he did not care! remember aston villa, tottenham, Porto to name but a few. He cared!!!!!!! give the lad a break. he has always wanted real madrid, we were just a stop gap, a 6yr stop gap, where he delighted the crowd from his very first touch to his effort in the champions league final! he has won everything with us and tried to defend his champions league crown. What more do you want!!! how about we respect his wishes and dreams.
    i would love a ruthless finisher, a torres if you may, i beleive the closest player to that is karim, with the added benefit tht he can player on the flanks nd hence swap position if required( but do we really want to take pplayers away from the natural position ).

cut a very long story short, enough with all the doom and gloom, along with barca, we are still the most complete team in worl football. yes we lost the champions league and the fa cup, but we won four other trophies. we will be fine, keep your heads up and trust the gaffer, we are infact ‘ONE UNITED”.
    I FEEL MUCH BETTER< ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

12 June 2009 at 19:03

@Merlinus: That will be the day I change allegiance.

12 June 2009 at 21:53

@Onkar: Hello Mate. WOW! That one hit me by surprise, especially since your introduction was so cordial and polite. Please understand that yesterday I was a very upset and I did feel very betrayed by Fergie. I was also wrongly concerned about the form of payment received having been incorrectly informed that the 80 million was to be made in payments over five seasons. That for me was unacceptable and so I was relieved to find out that wasn’t the case at all.

Now regarding my emotional outburst that you seem to take so much offense to. Please understand that I was not upset that Ronaldo was leaving. I prepared myself for an entire season with the inevitability and his action and childish, petulant displays this past season really made him sour in my heart. Still love him as a player but I honestly was sick of his dog and pony show.

With that said, I wanted him sold but unrealistically or idealistically, not to Real Madrid. See, unlike you and many others, I took the words and now infamous quotes of Fergie where he would rather bench him than sell him, that Madrid was a mob and he wouldn’t sell them a virus etc etc. I also remember both he and Gill being quoted that United was not in the business of knuckling under to the whims of Real Madrid and that they were not going to help Madrid poison the game by selling them any of their exceptional talent. The relationship with the team had been disgraced and therefore, selling Ronaldo to them for me, spoke of hypocricy and betrayal because there is not team other than Liverpool that I hate more than Real Madrid. I hate everything they stand for and I am also not a big fan of the country or the city having been there and having considered a total overrated shit hole. Sorry if that offends Spaniards who read this. Nothing against the people, just don’t care for the look or feel of the country. And i hate the fact that their top club beat us in Rome and that their National side beat my beloved Germans. So sue me or call me bitter.

Anyway, 24 hours have passed and i have had some sleep and had time to reflect on things. I also find out now that Fergie immediately ok’d the deal due to the price and that tells me that no matter what he must have said months ago regarding Madrid, his relationship had soured with Ronaldo over the past few months. And it was obvious to all of us with Ronny’s petulant jacket throwing tantrum after being subbed off and his comments about Fergie getting it wrong in the final. Now that I have let the anger go away and i begin to look back and focus, I realize that Fergie had no choice I guess. Although the right thing to do is to tell Real Madrid to fuck off and to bench Ronaldo and discipline him severely if he doesn’t like it and if he acts up. Yes I know, idealistic, but unrealistic. After all, at the end of the day it’s all about money.

The great news that I am reading today and i hope it’s true is that the Glazer’s are letting Fergie use the entire 80 million plus his usual alloted transfer kitty to go out and buy the players he needs to rebuild and replace the “Selfish One”. This is the best news I could receive. Totally relieved and I pray it’s true because I was worried the Glazer’s would want a big portion of that money to go towards their massive debt. But it appears that money that comes in for player will go out for players. I am relieved and I feel a lot more encouraged than yesterday. I will miss the greatness of Ronaldo, but like I said a few days ago, it was time for him to piss off. But I just so hate Real Madrid and I so wanted Fergie to tell them and Ronaldo to shove it on principle alone. But principle doesn’t pay the bills or ensure harmony. And harmony was indeed needed after the antics Ronaldo was seemingly allowed to get away with. And this also sends a message to everyone else on the team that nobody is immune and that they all need to buckle up and dedicate themselves more to the cause. So hopefully you are thinking a little bet better of me after this explanation. I hold no hard feelings towards your rather harsh words as I feel I probably deserved it because of my hair trigger and rather emotional responses yesterday. A clear and rested head can help you reflect and realize your errors. Cheers.

12 June 2009 at 21:56

@Clinton Pillay: Alex Sanchez has Ronaldo like potential. Incredibly skilled and under a great manager, he could become dynamite. Italy is no place for a player like that who needs a system that will allow him to express himself more. The English league is that system.

12 June 2009 at 22:02

@Craig Mc: I was proud of the Lil Man and even more impressed that he wants to commit himself to United despite his buddy Ronaldo leaving. This speaks of his heart and his loyalty in spades. I love the little guy and I just hope and pray that Fergie sees the light and gives him a crack. I just think that if the rumours are true, it will be very hard to turn down a swap with Sporting for Moutinho. Moutinho is needed more by us than Nani because we are a mess in the center of midfield and because you know Fergie is going to go after Valencia, Ribery, Sanchez and others who will play wide and further frustrate Nani’s chances of playing. I want Nani to do very well but I honestly have real doubts on whether that will ever be with United. I saw highlights of the last Portugal game where he crossed two balls beautifully that should have been goals and he took a great 20 yard shot that was beautifully saved. He’s a player and it’s time Fergie realized it. Three cheers for Nani. 😀

12 June 2009 at 22:04

@tevez: I agree but I do not think Ribery is worth more than 40 million. Bayern need to get realistic or they will be stuck with the same cancer we were stuck with. A malcontent who won’t shutup about Spain and who bitches and complains to the media all the time. I would offer them 45 million and I would go and spend 45 million and get Aguero. The combination of those two would be sheer dynamite.

12 June 2009 at 22:09

@Craig Mc: Thanks for the suppoort there mate. Greatly appreciate it but as I responded to Onkar, in this “rare” situation, I think I deserved a little abuse. I was way over the top yesterday and I really felt betrayed by Fergie, especially as I read that the 80 million was to be made in long term payments. I just felt that was completely and totally unacceptable and I just went off. I know better now and although Onkar let me have a bit to harshly, I kind of deserved it because I generally demand a little bit more of a level head from myself. I am opinionated and controversial but 98% of the time I do not write from a perspective of emotional duress. So I let the personal remarks go this time and hopefully I explained myself to him and others who were wondering what the Hell was Grognard smoking yesterday? 😀 Thanks again Bro, Cheers.

12 June 2009 at 22:12

@RedDevilEddy: Nani is very good in FIFA 09 and I have him cut in and take those 20 yard bombs of his all the time. He’s also good at stealing the ball and crossing with a good curve. Love the Lil Man and I always bench Giggs over him because he’s too slow in his reaction time. Oh yeah, Nani is also great on corners and low crosses too.

12 June 2009 at 22:15

@RedDevilEddy: Valencia has always been in the cards, but not as a direct replacement to Ronaldo. You cannot look at a direct replacement of Ronaldo from a positional point of view. It’s based on the quality and the pedigree of the player. Aguero or Ribery would be a direct replacement. It’s possible that Fergie will choose to buy 5 or 6 younger and less star like players to fill out his squad’s depth and hope that some develop like a Ronaldo into something special. Alex Sanchez would be a good start.

12 June 2009 at 22:18

@Craig Mc: Vcuinic was a name I mentioned last year but I don’t rate him as high as Huntelaar, Pogrebnyak or even Benzema. He is quality though and is very used to playing the role of #3 striker at Roma, so we wouldn’t have a Tevez like ego demanding more playing time and respect.

12 June 2009 at 23:45

@Grognard: No problem Bro 😀 .

12 June 2009 at 23:52

@Grognard: Like Trav said, he is a confidence player, and needs SAF to really give him some attention, as he did with Ronnie. Obviously the lad believes in his ability to perform for United, so he needs a constant run. To tell the world you think you can fill Ronnie’s shoes, hahahahahaha, gotta admire the brashness, and BOLDNESS 😆 . He may not be the genious Ronnie is, but HE THINKS HE IS, can’t knock him for that 😆 😆 .

13 June 2009 at 02:05

@Onkar: Ok, I go off away from the site and what do I get? People thinking it’s there divine right to call anyone anything. Mate, you better work on learning to express your opinions. If you can’t disagree with someone’s opinion without calling him names, you haven’t really graduated from pre-school. Learn to debate before coming on here. Grognard was gracious enough to even respond to your neanderthal debating skills slip by, but I won’t tolerate stuff like this again.

If you think someone on the internet is irritating you and you feel the need to give him a piece of your mind in the most rude manner possible, then you are barking up the wrong tree here.

13 June 2009 at 18:13

@Craig Mc I am extremely sorry for the way i reacted to the Grog’s comment. I know i was totally wrong and bit over the top in my reaction. But, like Grog said in his response to my comment that even i was not in my total senses when i wrote all this rant. I was as shocked as any other United fan here. and then I came across the comment which i felt was bit over the top reaction and it blew the lead of head.
    But, I totally take the responsibility of the bad rant that i went with. I know it was over the top and unwarranted. So, i apologies from the bottom of my heart.
    @ Grog I am extremely sorry grog to come hard and personal on you. i never wanted to be personally abusive to you as i have nothing against you. But, just because you said something about the Sir Alex and the Man Utd that took me to the reaction that i came up with. Again I repeat I never meant to be personal. In fact, i still maintain that you are one of favorite boarder and i always felt that you resembles to my thought and that’s why i was surprise and shocked to see you reacting that way. So please no personal offense.
    @ Red ranter I know what are my responsibilities towards using the personal blog and not going at any one at personal level. As, I am saying I am SORRY. But, I think you are right that grog gracious enough to respond to my personal rant but also he was gracious enough not to question that whether I a, a kinder Garden passed out or a Graduate. And just for your records I am a post graduate in finance working with one of the most reputed company in my country as an analyst. So please dont question my education ever.
    But all said and done I apologies for loosing my head i request you all to stoop this matter here itself. And continue to talk about the Greatest Club in the world what ya say GROG??? 😛

45. Oli

17 June 2009 at 15:00

Manchester United have sold Cristiano Ronaldo at the right time and at a fantastic price. United don’t do ‘galaticos’ and we never will. Manchester United are a principled club that requires its players to behave and perform in a certain way. A way that is in keeping with ethos of this great club. Our history demands our players to perform for the club and not just for themselves. In my mind it became clear that the last two seasons saw Ronaldo do one too many stepovers against these principles for Ferguson to ignore. And with a world record offer of £80m on the table, the deal made sense for all concerned.