David de Gea is set to leave Manchester United in the summer after Ole Gunnar Solskjaer picked Dean Henderson as his first-choice goalkeeper.
According to the Daily Mirror, the Red Devils are ready to offload the Spanish shot-stopper at the end of the season and get rid of his whopping £350,000-a-week wages.
Given his stratospheric salary and the fact he has two years left on his contract at Old Trafford, de Gea will require a substantial payout to cut his career in Manchester short.
Not long ago, the former Atletico Madrid star was considered indispensable by the United hierarchy.
The only player to win three consecutive Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year awards in the club’s history, de Gea has been a popular figure among the fans and the locker room.
However, the 30-year-old has come under much scrutiny for some lacklustre performances over the past couple of seasons.
He has now lost his place between the sticks to six years younger Henderson, who has been outstanding lately.
The Englishman has exceeded all expectations after being tasked to fill in for de Gea, who went to Spain to attend his child’s berth.
In fact, the 24-year-old has been so impressive that Solskjaer decided to name him his first-choice No 1.
United showed faith in Henderson when they rewarded him with a lucrative £120,000-a-week deal in August last year.
They are now ready to entrust the Red Devils academy product with regular first-team action at the expense of de Gea.
There is no shortage of suitors for the Spaniard, with Paris Saint-Germain looking to take him to France to replace Keylor Navas.
PSG are one of the very few clubs in Europe with the financial capacity to match his wage demands and meet United’s asking price.
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-3-1-2) vs Arsenal, Ronaldo and Maguire return
- Tactical Analysis: What Ralf Rangnick’s Manchester United could look like
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Man Utd vs Arsenal
- Man Utd fans praise Fred’s midfield performance in Chelsea draw
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Chelsea vs Man Utd
- Man Utd could be without seven players for Chelsea clash
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Chelsea
- ‘Carrick’s at the wheel’: Jamie Carragher aims dig at Rio Ferdinand after Man Utd beat Villarreal
- Man Utd fans hail David de Gea’s performance vs Villarreal
- Michael Carrick delivers verdict on Manchester United’s win over Villarreal