Manchester United are not interested in signing Santos striker Marcos Leonardo in January, according to Goal Brasil journalist Marcos Leonardo.
The Red Devils signed Rasmus Hojlund to bolster their centre-forward department last summer, but they are exploring another striker to reduce the burden on the Dane.
Leonardo’s name has been mentioned but Fernandes reports that there has been no contact with United or Arsenal and all parties deny interest from the British duo.
United should consider Leonardo move in January
Hojlund has been United’s go-to choice up front since making his full debut in September.
He has yet to score in the Premier League but has been a revelation in the Champions League group stage. He has netted five times from just four appearances.
Hojlund should find his feet in the league sooner rather than later, but United would ideally want a competitor who can also make a difference off the bench.
Anthony Martial has struggled to make any impact as a deputy and there are claims that he could leave in January, considering his contract expires during the summer.
United have not triggered a 12-month extension clause in his deal. The Frenchman could be the subject of interest from Saudi Arabian clubs at the turn of the year.
In our view, Leonardo would be a top-class replacement. The 20-year-old has been in sparkling form this term with 21 goals and four assists from 45 games for Santos.
His agent Rafaela Pimenta has confirmed that he will be moving to Europe this winter and United should swoop for him. He could be available for around €25 million.
Sir Jim Ratcliffe is currently on the verge of securing a minority stake at United. He is set to take control of the sporting matters and could provide funds for the striker.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling