Manchester United’s biggest signing so far during the summer transfer window has been Brazilian central midfielder Fred from Shakhtar Donetsk.
The transfer went through during the World Cup, with the medical taking place the week before the tournament kicked off when Fred and the national team were in England for a pre-tournament friendly at Anfield.
Brazil were eliminated by Belgium at the quarter-final stage on Friday evening, and despite a suspension to Casemiro in that game, Fred didn’t enter the field. He didn’t play a single minute of 2018 World Cup action this summer.
Speaking post-elimination, Brazil boss Tite has revealed why Manchester United’s big summer signing didn’t feature for the national team this summer.
Tite is quoted by Brazilian outlet UOL as saying:
“Fred had a one-stroke problem and he was unable to make a full recovery.
“In general terms and physical, the team flew in. It was not the physical aspect that was decisive in defeat.”
Indeed, Fred picked up an ankle injury in training on the eve of Brazil’s World Cup campaign and it appears he never got back to full fitness during the three weeks that his country were in Russia.
Whilst it was a shame that we never got to see our new signing in action this summer, he will be ready to join us for pre-season, with training beginning of Monday.
- Man Utd set to appoint Chris Armas as first-team coach under Ralf Rangnick
- Tactical Analysis: Hugely encouraging signs in Ralf Rangnick’s debut against Crystal Palace
- Man Utd fans delighted with Fred’s stand-out display against Crystal Palace
- Ralf Rangnick heaps praise on Fred and Scott McTominay after Crystal Palace win
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace
- Who will Rangnick target in the transfer window?
- Man Utd fans react to Fred’s performance vs Arsenal
- Michael Carrick leaves Manchester United in wake of Arsenal win
- Manchester United vs Arsenal 3-2: Cristiano Ronaldo saves the day again
- Michael Carrick provides fresh injury update on Raphael Varane