Manchester United could take advantage of Borussia Dortmund’s interest in Anthony Martial to win the race for striker Erling Braut Haaland.
According to German outlet Sport1, Die Borussen are eyeing the ex-Monaco forward, who has tumbled down the pecking order at Old Trafford.
Martial has become a bit-part player in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s set-up, with summer signings Jadon Sancho and Cristiano Ronaldo limiting the Frenchman’s game time.
The 25-year-old is growing frustrated with a lack of first-team opportunities and could be open to leaving Manchester to revive his career.
Per the Daily Mirror, Inter Milan were interested in landing Martial in the wake of Romelu Lukaku’s return to Chelsea in the summer.
However, the reigning Italian champions failed to reach an agreement with United, as the Red Devils stuck to their £50 million valuation of the forward.
Inter’s interest has since faded, but Dortmund are now looking to offer Martial an escape route from Old Trafford.
United are willing to negotiate the Frenchman’s sale to stump up some extra cash to land Haaland next summer.
The Norwegian marksman was one of the Red Devils’ prime transfer targets in the summer.
But Dortmund’s staggering demands blew the Premier League club out of the water.
As reported by Spanish publication Marca, Haaland’s £68m release clause will become active in summer 2022, forcing the Bundesliga outfit to seek an alternative.
The Germans reportedly see Martial as a like-for-like replacement, giving United the upper hand in the potential negotiations.
The Red Devils misfit has registered just a single Premier League start this season and has yet to find the back of the net.
Meanwhile, his Dortmund counterpart has tallied 11 goals across all competitions, including seven in five games in the Bundesliga.
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final
- Man Utd studying right offer for Alessandro Bastoni
- Should Man Utd move for Chelsea target Josko Gvardiol?