Manchester United have been handed a boost with Anthony Martial back in team training ahead of Thursday’s Europa League clash against Real Sociedad.
The Red Devils are currently three points behind the La Liga outfit in Group E and they require a victory by a margin of two goals to finish top of the group.
It won’t be an easy task particularly on the road but before the game, they have been handed a timely boost with Martial reporting for training after a hip issue.
The Frenchman has been out of action since picking up the injury against Everton in early October, but could now feature against Sociedad at the Anoeta Stadium.
Martial could make cameo appearance vs Sociedad
Martial has had an injury plagued season with the Red Devils but he has still played a big role.
The Frenchman has registered three goals and two assists from just four appearances. He has made a goal contribution in each of his four outings under manager Erik ten Hag.
Hence, his form has been quite excellent this campaign, but injuries have meant that he has not been able to play a significant role during the first half of the season for his club.
United still have four more matches left before the World Cup winter break. Ten Hag will obviously handle Martial with caution. The Frenchman could be limited to cameo roles.
He could make a 30-minute appearance in San Sebastian in midweek if required. United must beat Sociedad by two clear goals to avoid an extra round of Europa League games.
This season’s round of 32 tie could be one of the toughest with teams such as Barcelona, Ajax, Atletico Madrid and Juventus dropping into the competition from the Champions League.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd really like Juventus star Gleison Bremer, will cost at least €70m
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe finally completes purchase of minority stake in Manchester United
- Man Utd star Casemiro open to Saudi Arabia move, interest remains valid
- Man Utd pressing to sign Gleison Bremer, strongly targeting summer deal
- Chelsea beat Manchester United to the signing of Sam Jewell
- Man United spending power to be limited this summer amid PSR concerns
- Wan-Bissaka out for two to four weeks with fresh injury but Mount close to availability
- Manchester United could rival Liverpool for Crystal Palace centre-back Marc Guehi if Dan Ashworth can be appointed in time
- Manchester United table offer for Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe
- Manchester United won’t pay £20m for Newcastle director Dan Ashworth