Manchester United have been handed a blow in the pursuit of Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa following his decision to pen a new long-term contract.
David de Gea has been United’s undisputed starter in goal for the past decade, but there are doubts whether he will continue at the club next season.
His current £350,000-a-week deal expires in the summer of 2023, but United have the option to keep him for another 12 months.
However, the club are reluctant to activate the clause due to his hefty salary and there are suggestions that De Gea could also accept a big pay-cut to pen a renewal.
Amidst this, United have been regularly linked with Diogo Costa, but they will now need to pay a much higher fee with Porto further increasing his release clause.
Costa’s buy-out clause has been raised from £52.5m to £65.7m after signing a new five-year deal.
United will need to pay big to prise away Costa
Costa has made a big name for himself with Porto over the past 18 months. He recently became the first player in Champions League history to save three penalties in a row.
Aside from this, he has caught the eye with his ability to play out from the back. He has averaged 34 passes per game for club and country this term with 7.4 successful long balls.
He has also been willing to make high claims in the box. Hence, he would be a quality upgrade on De Gea, who has averaged 24 passes and 4.7 long balls per appearance this season.
The big question now is whether United will try to sign him next summer. De Gea’s form has been quite spectacular and he could land a new deal if he can maintain his consistency.
Otherwise, United will need to pay big for Costa. Porto have been holding out for his release clause and the Red Devils will have to pay £13.2m extra after his latest contract renewal.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com, Capology.com and WhoScored.com
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?
- Man Utd’s transfer priority is clear after fresh Anthony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd handed early Europa League boost with two key Barcelona stars injured
- Erik ten Hag has easy midfield decision vs Leeds United with four players out
- Nottingham Forest eager to sign Dean Henderson permanently next summer