Manchester United defender Diogo Dalot has described Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa as a big player amid suggestions that he could move to Old Trafford this summer.
The Portugal international has been a mainstay for the Primeira Liga outfit over the past two years and he has also established himself as the number one for his country.
It has been reported that United are interested in signing him and speaking to Maisfutebol, Dalot has said that he is a big player who can be one of the best in the world.
He said: “I grew up with him and he’s my friend, there’s a great relationship between us.”
“I know perfectly well that he has the capacity to one day be one of the best in the world.
“I don’t know if he’ll be at Manchester United or another big club in Europe, but he shows at Porto that he is a big player and has helped the club a lot.
“If he continues there, I’ll be happy. If he leaves, I hope he has the greatest success at his next club.”
Man Utd may not spend big on Costa this summer
Costa has developed into one of the best shot-stoppers in Europe. He was superb for Porto in the Champions League group stage, saving three penalties.
The 23-year-old is also good with the ball at his feet but United may not pursue him this summer due to the high release clause present in his contract with Porto.
Costa signed a new deal with his club before the World Cup and this increased his buy-out clause from €60 million to €75 million. He may not be sold for less.
United’s main priority for the summer will be a marquee striker and manager Erik ten Hag may also want another quality centre-back and central midfielder.
A goalkeeper may not be at the top of the manager’s priority list. If the Dutchman decides to pursue one, he could prefer a reunion with Inter Milan’s Andre Onana.
The former Ajax star is available for €50m this summer. The 27-year-old is accustomed to Ten Hag’s system and would prove a better piece of business for United.
Stats from Sofascore.com
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’