Manchester United have been handed a big boost with midfielder Casemiro back in training with Brazil ahead of their World Cup qualifier against Uruguay.
The 31-year-old twisted his ankle during the 1-1 draw against Venezuela last week and he asked to be substituted in the 79th minute.
Globo Esporte reported that his ankle was badly swollen on the following day which led to doubts whether he could be sidelined.
Evening Standard now reveal that Casemiro was pictured training in the lead-up to the Uruguay game and he is likely to start for Brazil.
The Selecao take on Uruguay in Montevideo in the early hours of Wednesday (UK time). Casemiro will then travel to Manchester.
Casemiro’s return is a huge boost for United
The midfielder had a tremendous debut season with United last term. He was brilliant with his defensive and offensive contributions for the club.
This season, he has lacked the same level of consistency. Casemiro has registered four goals and an assist, but has been prone to losing possession.
His inability to control the Brentford game led to the surprise half-time substitution this month, but he will be keen to make amends after the break.
In our view, the €40 million-rated star remains a world-class player and he could turnaround his fortunes within a few games with his vast experience.
Casemiro had a slow start to his debut campaign before finding his feet. Hopefully, we will see a similar improvement from him in the coming weeks.
With the short turnaround after the Uruguay game, it will be interesting to see whether Casemiro will make the starting line-up against Sheffield on Saturday evening.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling