Manchester United have been handed a big boost in the pursuit of Cody Gakpo with the Dutchman not in favour of joining Leeds United anymore.
The Netherlands international was a top target for the Red Devils during the summer transfer window. The club had also spoken with the player over a transfer.
He was expecting to join them at one point of time, but the Red Devils’ huge £86 million outlay on Antony meant that they had no budget left to land Gakpo.
Earlier last week, it was claimed that Leeds United were in pole position to sign him, having entered in advanced talks with PSV over a transfer worth £30m.
However, that does not appear the case, according to The Athletic, who claim that Gakpo’s aspirations have become higher after a fantastic start to the season.
This should be a big boost for United ahead of the January transfer window.
Man Utd must renew their interest in Gakpo this winter
It is no secret that United wanted to sign Gakpo from PSV. The Dutch club’s sporting director Marcel Brands also confirmed that the Red Devils were in contact with the player.
Despite the heavy speculation, the 23-year-old has not been affected and it shows his mentality.
Gakpo has been outstanding for the Dutch Cup champions this campaign. He has bagged a stunning 13 goals and 10 assists from just 16 appearances across all competitions.
To put into context, his tally of 23 goal involvements is similar to Manchester City’s Erling Braut Haaland this term. Hence, his campaign thus far has been simply world-class.
With such statistics, a number of elite clubs will be knocking the door soon. United must push to land his services in January or they may regret watching him at another rival.
Gakpo has exclusively played on the left wing over the past 18 months. Erik ten Hag obviously wants him as he would be an upgrade in the position similar to Antony on the right flank.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd have received 10 loan proposals for Anthony Elanga ahead of transfer deadline
- Victor Lindelof emerges as Inter Milan transfer target to replace outgoing star
- Crystal Palace will wait until summer to sign Man Utd defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Man United boss insists there is still room for improvement from Antony after Reading display
- Erik ten Hag confirms ankle injury blow for Christian Eriksen after Reading win
- Casemiro excellent for Man Utd in 3-1 FA Cup fourth round win over Reading
- Harry Maguire sends a tough message to Erik ten Hag over the lack of game-time
- Manchester United 3-1 Reading: Three talking points as Casemiro electrifies Old Trafford crowd
- Man Utd tried to sign Milan Skriniar, he is holding out for PSG transfer
- Erik ten Hag gives advice to Garnacho and Pellistri on Manchester United opportunities