Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana has the preference to join Manchester United over Chelsea this summer, according to The Guardian.
The Red Devils are currently in talks with David de Gea over a new long-term deal, but manager Erik ten Hag has refused to guarantee him a starting spot next season.
It is now reported that United are prepared to compete with Chelsea in the race to sign Onana. He is likely to be sold by Inter amid their ongoing financial problems.
The Blues have already entered negotiations with the Nerazzurri for the 27-year-old, but The Guardian claim that he would favour a move to Old Trafford this summer.
United handed big boost in Onana pursuit
Onana is regarded as one of the best shot-stoppers in the world. He was fantastic in his debut campaign at Inter, keeping 20 clean sheets from just 43 appearances.
The Cameroonian had a stunning save percentage of 78 over the entire season. He completed an impressive 37 passes per outing with seven long balls.
In our opinion, Onana would be a big upgrade over De Gea in United’s goal. He is comfortable with the ball at his feet, and prefers to regularly come off his line.
He also likes to operate as a sweeper-keeper when required. His preference to join United is not surprising to us, considering his relationship with Ten Hag.
Ten Hag managed him for four seasons at Ajax before his switch to Inter. The former Barcelona graduate could be tempted to reunite with the Dutch tactician.
Furthermore, United have the assurance of Champions League football next season. In comparison, Chelsea won’t be playing in any European competition.
It remains to be seen whether United are prepared to meet Inter’s asking price of €60 million. The Nerazzurri are reluctant to accept anything less for him.
Diogo Costa is currently the alternative option for United, but he won’t come cheaper either with Porto eyeing a package close to his €75m buy-out clause.
Costa is four years younger than Onana, but goalkeepers tend to stay in their prime until their late 30s. Onana would be perfect for United as he is well versed with Ten Hag’s playing style.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling