Manchester United have been handed a big blow with Leeds United in negotiations with PSV Eindhoven to sign Cody Gakpo in January, The Mirror report.
The Red Devils were keen on landing Gakpo and Antony during the summer transfer window, but they ran out of budget after spending £86 million on the latter.
Gakpo was still fancied to move to the Premier League, but he was convinced by manager Ruud van Nisterooy to stay at PSV until the winter World Cup.
It is now reported that the Netherlands international is eager to play in England. Leeds are in pole position to sign him, having agreed personal terms.
Furthermore, they are now in talks with PSV regarding their £30m valuation for the 23-year-old.
United boss Erik ten Hag still wants to bring Gakpo to Old Trafford, but is aware that the club are unlikely to spend after a huge £220m outlay this summer.
Man Utd will regret missing out on Gakpo to Leeds
Gakpo has been in outstanding form for PSV this season. He has made 22 goal contributions (12 goals and 10 assists) from just 15 appearances for the Dutch giants.
To put it into context, Manchester City’s Erling Braut Haaland has managed just one more goal involvement than the versatile winger in the current campaign.
Hence, his statistics are truly exceptional. Whoever signs him will be getting a player with world-class potential. Leeds seem to be clear favourites to pursue his services.
United can still hijack Leeds’ pursuit by entering the race. Gakpo would find it hard to turn them down. He confirmed recently that he was expecting to join the club this summer.
The big question is whether the hierarchy will spend in January. Football director John Murtough recently ruled out any winter deals. United will regret it if Gakpo ends up at Leeds.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’