Manchester United have been handed a big blow with Chelsea reaching an agreement to sign Monaco defender Axel Disasi this summer.
Chelsea have now won the race to sign him from Monaco for €45 million (£39m). This is a setback for United, who have missed out on another central defender.
The Red Devils were initially keen on signing Kim Min-jae from Napoli this summer, but the South Korean star chose to join Bayern Munich instead.
Disasi has been the back-up option for United, but he is now on his way to Stamford Bridge.
United could stick with Maguire next season
The Red Devils have been fancied to sign a new centre-back this summer, but that is largely dependent on whether Maguire heads for the exit door.
So far, that appears unlikely to happen. United currently value their former captain at £40m. No club has been willing to meet their price for him.
West Ham United recently made a £20m offer which was immediately rejected by the hierarchy.
With Maguire going nowhere, United could cease their plans of pursuing a central defender for another year. The 30-year-old is happy to fight for his spot.
Disasi would have been a good upgrade on Maguire. The Frenchman is a strong physical player with an aerial presence. He likes to make progressive passes.
He seems ideally suited for the Premier League. Disasi is set to reunite with his former Monaco teammate Benoit Badiashile at Chelsea. He only joined in January.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action